See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tilt wall panels, split wall?

Login to Give a bone

Default tilt wall panels, split wall?

We do a number of large tilt wall building and so far we use concrete walls and set ref plane and lock walls at each end. This cannot be the best practice. Any ideas?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: tilt wall panels, split wall?

Ive seen them done a lot of ways:

1. Walls with disjoined ends (like you have)
    2. Curtain Systems
    3. Families (which was a nightmare)

In the end i go with number one, for a few reasons. Ill draw the walls, and split them, and set the ends to not join. At the end of the day you still have to go through and check them, to make sure doors arent too close to the thresholds on the ends of the panels, and whatnot... So even with an automated Curtain System (and all the pains in the *** that go with it) you STILL have to run around and check the panels.

It worked weill with STR too, since they copied our walls...

Login to Give a bone

yes, I tried the curtain wall and made them "tilt wall panels" but the manipulation on schedules suck. Just could not imagine there is not something less manual in Revit

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

this has come up a number of times in our office. we have chosen to go with option #1, make each wall, set to disallow join, so we can leave the 3/4" gap between panels for caulking and what not, and this is the way that our structural engineer also creates there panels for plans. even with all that Revit is, to think that they could put in all the different wall types used in construction, would be immense.Besides, after you put in your wall, you can go into the element properties and under "Mark" you can list it as a titl-panel so it will so in the schedule that way.

Login to Give a bone

We dont even seperate them when we do it, as we dimension them from the CL of the gap anyway. But were not structural engineers, soooo....

Login to Give a bone

If you separate the walls into separate pieces, then how do you do the chamfered corners typically found at tilt-panel wall joints?

We have always just done single walls with a vertical reveal at the panel joints. We're not structural engineers, either, and we're not scheduling the panels, so it works fine for us.

Login to Give a bone

I fight like hell to not USE chamfered corners. Not becuase of the drawings, but because of the sloppy work in the field. Maybe its different for other genre's, but the contractors that have been getting our jobs recently just cant do them. Or they do them, and we end up with a caulk/sealant joint upwards of an inch wide, that ends up looking like trash.

Could just be luck of the draw though.

Even if i WAS doing chamfered corners though, some well placed Wall Hosed elements could handle the chamfers.

I end up going around an "Architectural Panel Plan" and placing markers where the joints are anyway, so i might as well do it with a family with a nested symbol, and have the family articulate the joint condition.

But the last job i did didnt need a panel plan from me at all, so i drew them as standard walls and just split them at 30ft OC and called it a day...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    ...we end up with a caulk/sealant joint upwards of an inch wide, that ends up looking like trash...

Enough caulking and sealant can fix ANYTHING.

On the subject of doing tilt up panels I would be with Aaron on this one, and do the joints with a family. I never actually did a panel plan anyhow (left that up to the sub-contractor to submitt shop drawings on) So I just used standard walls.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, the Tilt Panel plan that we did was on one project where the Engineer was doing the shop drawings and wanted it as a preferred layout from us. The last time we did it was fun, because the engineer was Copy Monitoring our walls, and making their tilt panels out of those...

Login to Give a bone

I did create a horiz. and vert reveal, actual void that you can manually stretch once placed on the host wall. We seperate the panels in the hopes to create a schedule so that the panels dims are called out and we reference the sheet of the panel book we do. This way the material take off could be helpful. So far though we have to manually add one panel at a time and make sure they are not joined. The chamfers at the joints can be a void or the reveal, which dimensions to the center can be placed at the joint and it voids the edges of the walls since they are the host... I tried like hell to get the reveals parameters to accept angles but had not luck. Thats why a horiz and vert... The reveal width can be defined in each instance and the chamfers stay constant.
    Last edited by rrothwel; 2008-10-23 at 08:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast