Thread: How do you connect a branch duct FROM THE BOTTOM of the main duct?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How do you connect a branch duct FROM THE BOTTOM of the main duct?

im confused, im trying to connect a branch duct that goes to a diffuser from the bottom of a main duct loop...not from the side as its typically done...I looked everywhere and couldnt find it. Heres a pic.

Can anyone help please?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: How do you connect a branch duct FROM THE BOTTOM of the main duct?

Quote Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
    im confused, im trying to connect a branch duct that goes to a diffuser from the bottom of a main duct loop...not from the side as its typically done...I looked everywhere and couldnt find it. Heres a pic.

Can anyone help please?

Click on new duct, click to add new branch on the main run, than don't press anything. Look over to the top bar where it says offset, set offset to the height less than the height of the main run than hit apply - the button next to the offset box. It must be done in plan view.

hope that helps

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you connect a branch duct FROM THE BOTTOM of the main duct?

thanks ^^, i'm going to try that right now!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

wheres the option for a new branch?

been lookin but cant find

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
    wheres the option for a new branch?

been lookin but cant find

This is how I do it, I think Beancud means the same thing but said it differently:

Select the Duct tool. Click on the duct at the location you want to create a vertical branch. Don't draw anything else, go up to the options bar and set your offset to a location below the main duct run. Click apply offset and the duct will be created.

For example, you have a main running at an offset of 12'0" and is 24" deep. You want a duct to go extend 2 feet below the main run. If the main run vertical orientation is set to horizontal the bottom of the duct is at 11'0". Select the duct tool to create a new duct, set your offset to the main run offset, or 12'0" in this case. Click on the location you want to create the branch. Now go up to the options bar and set your offset to 9'0" (2 feet below the bottom of the main run, or 11'0" - 2'0" = 9'0") and click apply offset.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
    This is how I do it, I think Beancud means the same thing but said it differently:

Select the Duct tool. Click on the duct at the location you want to create a vertical branch. Don't draw anything else, go up to the options bar and set your offset to a location below the main duct run. Click apply offset and the duct will be created.

For example, you have a main running at an offset of 12'0" and is 24" deep. You want a duct to go extend 2 feet below the main run. If the main run vertical orientation is set to horizontal the bottom of the duct is at 11'0". Select the duct tool to create a new duct, set your offset to the main run offset, or 12'0" in this case. Click on the location you want to create the branch. Now go up to the options bar and set your offset to 9'0" (2 feet below the bottom of the main run, or 11'0" - 2'0" = 9'0") and click apply offset.
    i get it now, thanks alot!! VERY CLEAR

going to try it now will report with resultS!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

its not working :/ Im confused.

I did exactly what you said, the offset right now for that main duct is 8-6", so I clicked in on the centerline of that duct, then typed in 4'-6" and clicked apply, it created this weird fitting...didnt let me extend or do anything with this fitting either...

heres a pic

and a 3d view

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

What's wrong with it? What does it look like in an elevation view?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Change your duct type from tees to taps...

I don't use tees at all, all duct work is tap for me..

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cris8096 View Post
    Change your duct type from tees to taps...

I don't use tees at all, all duct work is tap for me..
    this fixed it

thanks alot

PS: your avatar is kinda disturbing :/ lol