Thread: Joist Bridging

Login to Give a bone

Smile Joist Bridging

Has anyone found a way to model joist bridging? Normally i would just indicate a line in plan for a new building but we are working with architects on an existing building and i don't want the to miss them when they are examining the impact of their design changes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joist Bridging

create a structural family with added parameters...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

is it a cross or solid bridge?

Login to Give a bone

Let's say cross bridging. I've tried to create a family (using the beam/brace template) that has components for the angles forming the bridging with visibility set to everything but coarse and then a pair symbolic lines crossed for the plan. Here are the problems I've had with this plan:

1) This template does not allow you to drop the elevation of one end of the steel angle (or if it does I haven't figured it out). This makes it difficult to put both angles into one bridging family using the angle components.

2) The symbolic representation doesn't show up in plan. I may just have to play with this more.

I have two completly different ideas for doing a bridging family and any input before I start messing around with one or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Alternate 1) Do the bridging using the truss template. This will allow me to draw in diagonals for the crossed bridging. I can set the truss depth to match the joist depth. Problems I see with this method: getting the top and bottom chords to not show up when doing interference checks and getting the symbolic representation to look like crossed bridging.

Alternate 2) Use a generic family template. I'd create profiles that are the shape of the angles and extruded shapes locked to a bunch of reference planes to define the bridging. It should also be pretty easy to create a proper symbolic representation to go with the plan view.

I'm leaning towards Alternate 2 but any advice/recomendations before I get started would be greatly appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time kathy71046's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure what you mean by crossed bridging, as terminology seems to differ between Aus and US, however....

I found a lot of problems with the framing, and am pretty much only using beam and column objects, as they seem to mostly work.

Can you create a framing member with your added info/modifications, and insert them as beams, then set the insertion levels to a named ref plane on the angle you need?

Your other method is good too, just this way you may be able to schedule them.
    Kathy Taylor
    Senior Structural Draftsperson & Proprietor
    TaylorCAD
    www.taylorcad.com.au

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy it!
    Revit User Phase 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 5, 4.....