Thread: Backup files should go into a "Backup" folder

Wish List Administration

Default Backup files should go into a "Backup" folder

Summary: I wish backup files went into a backup folder inside the folder where the current file is stores, instead of in the same folder with the current file.

Description: I wish backup files went into a backup folder inside the folder where the current file is stores, instead of in the same folder with the current file.

How Used: I use Revit MEP 2009. The backup process should generate a backup folder named "filename_backup" or something similar so that the top level of the project folder doesn't become cluttered with many copies of the file.

Feature Affinity: Other

Submitted By: Judy Staicer on July 17, 2008

Default Re: Backup files should go into a "Backup" folder

I second this, I've heard of situations where alot of work was lost because some people were working on a backup file while others were on the main file.

100 Club

Unhappy Re: Backup files should go into a "Backup" folder

I agree. Other programs save the backup to a .bak file suffix and then you don't see them in the folder. Or to another folder would be great. For the amount of times we need to use a back up file it's silly how cluttered our folders get. Add this to the list of things that I don't understand why Autodesk doesn't fix to have a totally professional program. Don't even get me started on the text editor.

So if you have several job folders - 00001, 00002, 00003 - and then a main file for each project called - Project - all the backups for each "Project.0001" would go in the same folder and you would end up with each backup over writting files from other projects?

AutoCAD has always stored its backup files with the main file location. Has that been an issue?

Nix that - didn't see the subfolder in current project....

I also agree that I would like to see this. The ability to not only choose the location of the backup file locations but also the extension would be very helpful.

The company I work for changes the extension of backup files so that in the event of a crash, deleted files, etc. a simple search with a .XYZ (or another file extension name) will result in only backup files.

100 Club

Thumbs up Re: Backup files should go into a "Backup" folder

Yes!

A separate folder for Revit Back ups would be great... just because we are not dealing with one back up file... We are dealing with multiple files... Take a look at a library space and see how cluttered it gets with back up files... when there are multiple models in one directory then multiple backups of each file...

Then the note about a naming convention that would be searchable... able to screen out for the back up files... currently that is not possible... but if there were some sort of .BAK like AutoCAD... or .RBAK I don't really care to much on how it is named or if it is customizable by the consumer... in fact I think it would be cleaner if it wasn't... less chance for multiple naming types for the back up files... I just would like to see the possibility to find the back up files from a list of files... easy..

Good Ideas from everyone here...

100 Club

A different file extension (RVB, RVBAK, etc.) would be a great improvement. Since Kentucky is too tornado-prone for me to think that having copies on an external hard drive anywhere in the same building is adequate, I'm using Carbonite as my daily off-site backup strategy and there is no practical way to exclude the likes of ABC.0034.rvt if they are in the same folder as the ABC.rvt project file itself. I would have to go into each project folder used each day by anyone in the office and specifically tell Carbonite not to backup each .0034.rvt, 0035.rvt, 0036.rvt file -- not gonna happen.

RVB or RVBAK files can be excluded, so I would just need to tell Carbonite -- once -- not to backup that file type. Done.

With a single 1GB project, the four new ABC.xxxx,rvt files alone would take 5 or 6 hours to upload on my medium-tier cable broadband connection. Yeah, I could upgrade that, but upload speeds seem always to lag download speeds by a factor of 10 or so.

To my mind, ABC.0034.RVB would be simple to implement in code and simple to use in practice.