Thread: Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

Login to Give a bone

Default Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

AutoCAD 2008

Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

1.) As of now if I lock a layer, the objects cannot be moved or edited, but autocad still
    highlights them when the objects on this locked layer are selected. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a layer lock setting that would allow you to lock a layer but no be able to select it. For example I have a site plan xref in the background and I am drawing on top of it. Every time I try to work on top of this xref I end up selecting the background as well which causes the system to slow down because it is selecting the entire xref background. I want to be able to lock layer the xref is on and not be able to select it in my drawing.

Thank You

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

Options > Selection > 'Selection Preview' Area > Visual Effect Settings button > Advanced options button

May be different for your release.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Nope, that's just for the selection preview ... you know that highlighting effect as you move the cursor over something. The OP means how to select (say by crossing), but not have the entities on locked layers even as part of the selection set.

If you're doing it in a PICKFIRST / NOUN method (i.e. select first then issue command) there's no way of getting what you want in AC. If use the VERB method (issue command first then select) you get what you are describing.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Or UNLOAD the Xref and RELOAD it after you edit those lines.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Nope, that's just for the selection preview ... you know that highlighting effect as you move the cursor over something. The OP means how to select (say by crossing), but not have the entities on locked layers even as part of the selection set.

If you're doing it in a PICKFIRST / NOUN method (i.e. select first then issue command) there's no way of getting what you want in AC. If use the VERB method (issue command first then select) you get what you are describing.
    I think I solved the issue quite succinctly. He was intending to avoid the 'slowdown' caused by selecting the XREF.

The slowdown isn't caused by including that one item in the selection set, it is caused by AutoCAD redrawing each and every line with a hidden or highlighted linetype. The same effect occurs when selecting or even mousing over a dense hatch. The hatch isn't a complex object, but the many, many lines being redrawn causes the system to hangup and sometimes crash.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=S_Newton;915050]I think I solved the issue quite succinctly....QUOTE]

Where is the solution? A Definition of the problem is not the soloution.

Have a look at your system variable OSOPTIONS. The default value should be 3. This ignors any hatch pattens & anything with a negitive Z value.
    Now set your Xref with a negitive value, and your problem is solved....

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by S_Newton View Post
    I think I solved the issue quite succinctly. He was intending to avoid the 'slowdown' caused by selecting the XREF.

The slowdown isn't caused by including that one item in the selection set, it is caused by AutoCAD redrawing each and every line with a hidden or highlighted linetype. The same effect occurs when selecting or even mousing over a dense hatch. The hatch isn't a complex object, but the many, many lines being redrawn causes the system to hangup and sometimes crash.
    Ok, rereading the OP I might have misunderstood. I know that the selection preview thing can make ACad very slow if you've got a highly complex drawing. But as you've stated, in the Advanced Settings you can Exclude Locked layers, XRefs, Hatches, etc. from this highlighting effect. It's just that that's the default setting in 2008.