Thread: Error in reading the pattern file

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Error in reading the pattern file

In one of my drawings I can't edit some hatches without the following warning coming up:
    ERROR IN READING THE PATTERN FILE
    In the hatch menu only certain hatches are listed but in other drawings the full range of hatch types are listed in the menu and I can edit all of them
    The hatches that are causing me trouble in the problem drawing are GRAVEL and AGGREGAT.
    Can anyone help me here? Is there a way I can get the hatch attributes in another drawing to be imported into the problem drawing?
    John

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Error in reading the pattern file

It sounds like you have two pat files and one is corrupt (? strange).
    One workaround in any one drawing would be to temporarily change all the affected hatch objects to a different pattern and purge out the bad hatch definition. Copy and paste an area of hatching from a "good" file into the affected one and use match properties to apply that hatch to the original objects. Probably.

Login to Give a bone

By default, there are 2 hatch patttern files, ACAD.PAT and ACADISO.PAT.

If the drawing's MEASUREMENT variable is set to 0, AutoCAD read the ACAD.PAT hatch pattern file. If the drawing's MEASUREMENT variable is set to 1, AutoCAD reads the ACADISO.PAT hatch pattern file. It sounds like one of these does not have the hatch definitions you mentioned.

A simple test is to check your MEASUREMENT variable value and change it (from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1). My guess it is set to 1 (metric, ACADISO.PAT) and the gravel hatch is in the 0 setting (imperial, ACAD.PAT).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox View Post
    By default, there are 2 hatch patttern files, ACAD.PAT and ACADISO.PAT.

If the drawing's MEASUREMENT variable is set to 0, AutoCAD read the ACAD.PAT hatch pattern file. If the drawing's MEASUREMENT variable is set to 1, AutoCAD reads the ACADISO.PAT hatch pattern file. It sounds like one of these does not have the hatch definitions you mentioned.

A simple test is to check your MEASUREMENT variable value and change it (from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1). My guess it is set to 1 (metric, ACADISO.PAT) and the gravel hatch is in the 0 setting (imperial, ACAD.PAT).
    Doh! That's probably right.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The GRAVEL is in the ACAD.PST and ACADISO.PAT files. AGREGAT is a custom file which "should" be in an AGREGAT.PAT file somewhere in your search paths (unless someone's copied the definition into the ACAD / ACADISO .PAT files).

If it's in the standard PAT files this is not recommended for 3 reasons:
    • If there's an error with the definition, any hatches defined after the custom hatch won't load.
    • If there's an error, loading the file (i.e. open the Hatch dialog) will become very slow.
    • If AutoDesk gives an update these files may be overwritten ... losing any custom hatches.
    There's basically 2 ways a standard hatch like GRAVEL can become corrupt:
    1. Someone's changed the standard PAT file(s) and inadvertently made a mistake.
    2. The hard drive had a problem sometime and the file itself became corrupt.
    Find your installation CDs / DVD and copy these files from there ... it should solve the problem for GRAVEL at least. For AGREGAT, you need to find the orriginal version of the AGREGAT.PAT file (maybe through Google).