See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to switch from Xref back to Previous Drawing!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Cool How to switch from Xref back to Previous Drawing!

Hi! We have recently started working with Xrefs as a main model then referencing the xref into our other dwgs. I see it is easy to select the Xref & go directly to it, but is there a way to quickly get back to the original drawing without having to go to window then find the drawing & clicking on it. I'm hoping there is a keyboard shortcut for doing this. Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    TIA!
    Paul Rymal

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to switch from Xref back to Previous Drawing!

I think you're looking for the command: REFCLOSE

Login to Give a bone

Or, if you want to keep it open, you can toggle between open windows by using CTRL+ Tab. Usually, even if you have several windows open, using CTRL + Tab from an open Xref will put you back to the drawing you were in when you opened it. Somehow CAD knows to put the open Xref just after the current drawing.

Also, if you use CTRL + Shift + Tab, then the drawings cycle in the reverse direction.

Also Also , if you find you're opening up Xref's a lot, like I do, I'd suggest setting a double click action so when you double click the Xref, it opens. No need to right click and select open or go to the Xref manager. It doesn't seem like it would, but it saves a lot of time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Also Also , if you find you're opening up Xref's a lot, like I do, I'd suggest setting a double click action so when you double click the Xref, it opens. No need to right click and select open or go to the Xref manager. It doesn't seem like it would, but it saves a lot of time.
    That's true, also.. another command people forget (including me until lately) is XOPEN which opens the selected xref. Basically the command line version of your "double click" function.

I use it all the time (my alias for this is "XO").

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Or, if you want to keep it open, you can toggle between open windows by using CTRL+ Tab. Usually, even if you have several windows open, using CTRL + Tab from an open Xref will put you back to the drawing you were in when you opened it. Somehow CAD knows to put the open Xref just after the current drawing.

Also, if you use CTRL + Shift + Tab, then the drawings cycle in the reverse direction.

I typed the same thing about Ctrl+Tab but I checked and it doesn't work when you're using the xref editor. It's fine it you actually open the file separately.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks all! The ctrl + tab worked great. I tried using "refclose" but you have to be in xref edit mode & for some reason I am not able to edit xrefs in place I keep getting the "file Lock" error message on the Xref file!
    Paul Rymal

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Traveller View Post
    Thanks all! The ctrl + tab worked great. I tried using "refclose" but you have to be in xref edit mode & for some reason I am not able to edit xrefs in place I keep getting the "file Lock" error message on the Xref file!
    Paul Rymal
    Personally, I hate editing Xref's in place. It always gives me trouble. I'd rather open it up and edit it, then reload it in the host file. That's just me, though.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Traveller View Post
    Paul Rymal
    editing xrefs in place can destroy xdata and other information, or at least that is my personal experience. however the reason you cant edit in place is probably because under tools-options->Open and Save, Allow other users to Refedit current drawing is probably unchecked (in the xreffed drawing)