See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Tapering batt insulation using DCM

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Tapering batt insulation using DCM

Hi All,

I am drawing a section with R-30 batt insulation laid on(in?) the ceiling rafters. As I near the bearing end I'd like the insulation to taper with the rafter pitch. I don't now if this can be done in 2009 or not. I found a 2005 thread on Autodesk where Paul Aubin told the questioner that this function could be found in the prompt. I looked in 2009 but see only Left/Center/Right or Shift options in the prompt. Are we going backwards again and losing functions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tapering batt insulation using DCM

Quote Originally Posted by tsigler View Post
    Hi All,

I am drawing a section with R-30 batt insulation laid on(in?) the ceiling rafters. As I near the bearing end I'd like the insulation to taper with the rafter pitch. I don't now if this can be done in 2009 or not. I found a 2005 thread on Autodesk where Paul Aubin told the questioner that this function could be found in the prompt. I looked in 2009 but see only Left/Center/Right or Shift options in the prompt. Are we going backwards again and losing functions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom
    Yes you can taper the insulation inserted from the DCM and it is indeed an option at the command line. When you insert it the first options available are the justification as you rightly mention, however keep an eye on the command line and you will see additional options after you have placed it.

Click insert component in the DCM.
    The command line will say: Start point [Left/Center/Right/Shift pattern] or Enter to pick:
    If you are happy with the justification and pattern location then click a start point.
    Continue to pick points until you have finished then right click and click enter.
    The command line will then say: Select first point of first taper boundary or Enter for none:
    So pick two points to create a taper, you will then be prompted to choose if you want a second taper (ie at the other end), repeat the process if required.

Have a play around with it a few times and you should soon get the hang of it. Hope that helps

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tapering batt insulation using DCM

Thanks, Steve

I had forgotten that I'd posted this. I just rediscovered it this morning. I've tried it out and your directions work like a charm.

Thanks, again

Tom