Thread: What's best for house design

Login to Give a bone

Default What's best for house design

I'm leaning strongly toward revit. I'm a GC and need to draw plans with suitable detail to be submitted for permit approval. I mostly do renovations and decks but also occasionally do houses.

I've narrowed it down to Revit and AutoCAD Architectural. I've learned from another thread that ACA will handle all structural requirements of residential home design but I like the full BIM capability of Revit. I know that there is an Architectural and Structural version of Revit. Will the Architechtural version be capable of drawing detailed structural framing in a typical residential house? What are the differences between Revit Architectural and Revit Structural.

Thanks..>Ross

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What's best for house design

Revit Architecture I think should be able to get you where you want to be for your detailing of the plans. I think the main difference between the two programs, is the analytical properties that are available in Revit Structure. I would suggest downloading a trial from Autodesk of both programs, and seeing what works best for you, in your particular situation

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Welcome to the Forums,
    I would have to second what mrieter has mentioned - there is a FREE 30-day trial for both the Architectural and the Structural version of Revit. (Note these are TWO independent platforms and programs). Try them out, run through some tutorials and see what you think.

As you're a GC, your needs are going to be slightly different than that of (us) Architects. I use Revit Architecture daily in my practice and it meets my needs quite well. In this package you'll be able to detail anything you can detail in any other package as well as reap the benefits of the BIM platform with schedules and takeoffs. However, you won't be able to do 'instantaneous' framing plans (wall or floor) as you could in other drafting packages (Home Architect or others) as the tool isn't meant to be used like that. There are a few methods of doing this task within Revit, but it's not as intuitive out of the box.

As far as if the 'Arch' version will do 'detailed framing plans' versus the 'Structural' version.... I guess that depends on what your expectations are. Are you looking at highly detailed set of plans or a more 'loose' interpretation of the framing? As I mentioned earlier, I can represent anything I want to any degree in my Revit Architecture package... its learning how to do what you want within the software that is the key.

I would also highly recommend, that whatever package that you decide on, that in order to be efficient and make the most of your purchase... get good training!!

Good luck!
    Kyle

Login to Give a bone

I guess what I'm looking for is to be able to design the aesthetics of a house (walls, siding, windows, doors, etc.) but also be able to show framing detail such as trusses, headers, studs and other critical structural elements. I'd like to be able to draw structural framework without having to draw every 2x4. In the end, I'd like to be able to show a detailed model of what the house will look like to the eye as well as a detailed view of the skeleton.

I've read about linking structural and architectural models together. Would the best approach be to design the visual aspects of the house first in architecture then link to that in structural and design the framing?

Basically, each sub needs a different set of plans. The permit office wants to see a rendered elevation from different views as well as electrical, plumbing, framing, roof, foundation and site details. Each sub needs detailed prints of their respective portion of the job. I need a software package that can deliver all of that.

I will definitely download evaluation versions, but I'd like to establish a starting point. For instance, if it turns out that Revit Arch isn't really the right tool, I'd rather not focus too much on it.

Thanks...Ross

Login to Give a bone

Looks like the ultimate trio is Revit Architectural, Revit Structure and Revit MEP. Design the visuals in Arch, then take it to the structural level in Revit Structure and then the HVAC, electrical and plumbing in Revit MEP. Might be overkill for small houses and renovation projects, but at least I'd be learning the industry standard in design software.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richard.carlisle View Post
    Looks like the ultimate trio is Revit Architectural, Revit Structure and Revit MEP. Design the visuals in Arch, then take it to the structural level in Revit Structure and then the HVAC, electrical and plumbing in Revit MEP. Might be overkill for small houses and renovation projects, but at least I'd be learning the industry standard in design software.

I am an Architect and I mainly do custom residential and light commercial. I have been using Revit since 2003 and it is the best thing that has happened to my practice. That being said, as a GC doing decks and house renovations, you might also look into Chief Architect...that program may be better suited to your needs for a lot less money.

Login to Give a bone

To get a good look into the program you may also try and find a local user group for each software package you're interested in and sit down with them and have them "show off" what each package can do. That way you're not spinning wheels with three + packages on trial versions and not really getting into the meat of what the program may be capable of. Just a suggestion...

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Richard,

I would have to agree with the recommendations presented here. I, too, design custom residential and light commercial projects. I've been using Revit since v4.5 (circa 2001 or 2002) and have never looked back. I SERIOUSLY think you would be VERY disappointed with AutoCAD Architecture, it requires WAY too much backend support and setup. I would challenge anyone that's using ACAD Arch to develop a project (and I'd kick their butt), not only with the completeness of the 3D model, but with the intricate information that is contained in the model as well. My only issue is in your request for framing and structural layout.

If you are only looking only for "Framing Plans", then Revit will do them, but only using the drafting tools. If you are actually looking for Revit to automatically layout your framing and give you detailed framing layouts, I think you're looking in the wrong place. Trusses, sure, there is a plug-in for Revit that will take your model and develop detailed truss profiles for each truss needed. However, if you are looking for detailed, possibly 3D, drawings showing framing . . . I think you're making a mistake. As you know, there are MANY ways to frame a house. Everyone has a way that they think is best for one reason or another. Specifying your framing in Construction Documents is a hazardous practice. Showing span directions on trusses or joists . . . alright, but don't be drawn in by programs that show framing layout display styles - they are rarely shown "correctly". Use your drawing program to give the least amount of information necessary, then let the framers in the field use their years of experience to construct your buildings correctly. Their knowledge and experience is much more trustworthy than a computer program that can't take EVERY variable into account.

My 2 cents.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I use Revit only for extremely complex residential and commercial projects. Personally I think that 2D software is like a big lizard in the cretaceous period. For most residential applications I find that Chief Architect does a more than adequate job. As far as specifying the "any aspect of a project" is concerned, I would never defer to a framer, a plumber or a wallpaper hanger for that matter. I had thirty years experience in the field before I ever considered coming over here to the dark side. There are good ones and bad ones...they must be held accountable. I teach CSI and CCA to graduate students at the state university...and I must say - they don't know dwaddle about anything except graphics and architectural history. If you don't know about something your client is depending on you to know, then learn about it. You should be able to write a full set of CSI six digit specifications, select the correct contract from the AIA menu of documents for the owner/contractor agreement, and do a detailed set of documents that are accurate and concise. Even a small project benefits immensely from a specifications manual that is carefully co-ordinated with the graphic documents. I am not advocating that you should determine where every toenail in the place should be - but you should know when and where one will be sufficient if you propose that what you are doing is architecture - rather than a cartooning a caricature of a building. It is our responsibility...to the guy paying the bill..........to know.

My 5 cents, raise you 1?

Pilus

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpilus View Post

My 5 cents, raise you 1?

Pilus
    you do know that you are posting to a Nov 2008 thread?? Nobody home anymore probably