View Poll Results: Add an Option to Convert Polylines to AEC Polygons to the Context Menu

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I definitely need this.

3 42.86%
  • This would be useful.

3 42.86%
  • Nice idea, but I would not use it.

0 0%
  • No, this is not needed, please work on another feature.

1 14.29%
  • This can already be done.

0 0%

Thread: Convert Polylines to AEC Polygons

Login to Give a bone

Default Convert Polylines to AEC Polygons

Summary: Provide feature to Convert Polylines to AEC Polygons from the right click menu.

Description: Much like the "Convert to Profile" is available, I would like to be able to select existing polylines, right click and conveniently convert them to AEC Polygons. Ideally, it would provide a dialog box for "new style" or "select a style" but I would be almost happy if it simply turned into style "Standard."

How Used: My users have some trouble transitioning from from old familiar tools to better ones, though less familair, so the easier I can make it for them to transition the better. If I get to say "just right click on what you've already drawn" versus "Oh...sorry you have to draw it again." I'd have a much better response. Additionally, we have a lot of re-use of projects, so we could accelerate the process of getting the old projects up to speed by simply converting stuff rather than redrawing stuff (=PRODUCTIVITY). I want to get as far away from layer manager as possible without modeling objects unnecessarily. In the real world, a 2d line (flat polygon) is still adequate for many things.

Feature Affinity: ACA: AEC polygons/polylines

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert Polylines to AEC Polygons

You know about the convert option in the aecpolygon command? You can then select either a pline or anexisting profile.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert Polylines to AEC Polygons

You could also right click on an AEC Polygon tool and choose Apply Tool Properties to > Closed Polyline, or run the AecPolygonToolToPline command.

If you still want access to this via a context menu, then this remains a valid wish, since the ACA context (shortcut) menus are not exposed in the CUI, so you can not edit them to add the AecPolygonToolToPline command. Until the wish is granted, you may want to make use of the suggestion by Nathan or those above.