Thread: Settings for Pipe Design Rules?

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Settings for Pipe Design Rules?

Why is the design rule for the pipe slope limited to a hundredths round-up (example is 0.00045 rounds to 0.05)?

Within the design of piping systems (storm & sewer) slope and the flow calculations, a engineer needs to take it the thousandths place for the decimal and I can't get it to except the thousandths decimal. Is there a way to take this to another decimal point for more of a precision application?

If someone knows the answer to this problem, please let me know as soon as you can because I'm on a deadline with this matter.

Thank you ahead of time.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Settings for Pipe Design Rules?

The default value used in the pipe rule is 0.01, which is the value the rule iterates to. So changing the value to 0.001 will provide a better result, but will take more time to accomplish the task though. I way to change it in 2008 may be found in this AU paper.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=830

For 2009 you'd have to download Microsof Visual Express (http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx), change the value and then recompile the code.

Christopher
    http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
    http://style.civil3dreminders.com/in...blockoftheday/

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Settings for Pipe Design Rules?

Chris,

Thank you for the help.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Settings for Pipe Design Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Openwheeler View Post
    Why is the design rule for the pipe slope limited to a hundredths round-up (example is 0.00045 rounds to 0.05)?

Within the design of piping systems (storm & sewer) slope and the flow calculations, a engineer needs to take it the thousandths place for the decimal and I can't get it to except the thousandths decimal. Is there a way to take this to another decimal point for more of a precision application?

After reading Chapter 1 of "Mastering Autodesk Civil 3D" "Getting Dirty: The Basics Of Civil 3D"...I've come across the answer for this question that I posted awhile back and thought I would share my findings for all.

In the "Prospector" tab of the drawing, open the "Drawing Settings" by right-clicking to open the dialog box. Under the "Ambient Settings" tab, go down to "Slope" within the "Property" category, you can then change the "Precision" of decimal places (2 is default) and the "Rounding" function (round normal is default).

If I move it up to 3 places to get the slope to read 0.0045 and get it to display 0.004 that way. You may need to tweak it in order to achieve the correct display from the rounding "Value" since its default is round normal. I'm going to adjust the settings within our pilot project to see if this works on existing styles or you must recreate new objects in order to achieve this new drawing setting. I'll let this thread know of my findings after I complete the trials.

First day with the book and I believe that I’ve already answered one of my concerns...so far, so good with this purchase.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Settings for Pipe Design Rules?

I was going to add more to my last post, but I had to go last night. So today I’m continuing reading my new book on the “Ambient Settings”. It’s important to note that the settings that are applied here can be applied at the object levels as well. Here’s an example from the book…”you might want elevation (or slope in my case) to generally be shown to two decimal places, but when looking at surface elevations you might want just one. The Override and Child Override columns will give you feedback about these types of changes. The Override column will show if the current setting is overriding something higher up. Since we are at the Drawing Settings level, these are all clear. However, the Child Override column can have a down arrow symbol, indicating that one of the objects in the drawing has overridden this setting. After a little investigation through the objects, we find the override is in the Edit Feature Settings of the Object. You will see the box is checked in the Override column! This indicates that you are overriding the settings from earlier, and it’s a good alert that things have changed from the general Drawing Settings to the Object Level setting.”

The section in chapter 1 continues with…“But what if we don’t want to allow those changes? In each settings dialog, there’s one more column we haven’t discussed: the Lock column. At any level, you can lock a setting, graying it out for any lower levels. This can be handy for keeping user from changing settings at the lower level that perhaps should be changed at a drawing level, such as sign or rounding methods.”

As you can see, this is a well written book that I would already recommend for any level of user/CAD Manger. I personally did some research before I paid my money done on this one. You can go to this link and read a vast array of preview material to see all that this book has to offer.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uNm...ummary_s&cad=0