Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Text Note Improvements

All AUGI, all the time

The following list represents some changes that I would like to see made to text notes. The list is not in any order of preference or importance. I am posting this in the general forum to get some feedback before making a wishlist post. Feel free to agree, disagree or add on.

1. Underline, bold, italics & transparency should be instance parameters so that we don’t need four text types (or more if you use combinations) for each font size just to use these properties.
    2. Underline, bold, & italics should be able to be assigned to portions of text within a text note. Sometimes just a word or phrase in a larger note needs to have one of these attributes.
    3. There needs to be more advanced formatting options than just tabs. At a minimum we need paragraph indents and lists like this one where the lines following the first line can be set to be indented.
    4. Text notes should be able to be aligned to model or detail features. The alignment point of the text should be user controllable and should be independent of the justification of the text itself.
    5. Text should be able to be rotated to a specific angle. It seems to me that allowing the rotate command to control text instead of the current icon control should be sufficient.
    6. When editing a text note, the active typing box should pop up to screen size so that you can see what you are typing. This allows for easy editing of numerous notes while zoomed out to extents. As it is now you have to zoom into each note as you edit so that you can read the text as you type.
    7. There should be a keyboard escape from the dialog box instead of having to always mouse click outside of the box.
    8. When adding leaders to existing notes, the end of the leader should appear within the borders of the current field of view. It is annoying to have to zoom out just to grab the shape handle of the arrow.
    9. There need to be more options for where the leader line attaches itself to the body of the text. I don’t know if we need infinite attachment points via a shape handle or just more built-in snap points (perhaps every ¼ point of each side).
    Edits
    10. (Added from Greg Cashen's post.) I would love to see an option whereby you can attach the arrow to the object it calls out. This way, if geometry changes in the model, annotations in the plans and elevations won't end up unattached to the model.
    11. (Added from Scott Hopkins' post.) I would also like to add that the bounding box for text is too large. I am always selecting text when I don't mean to. Also when stretching the text bounding box it should be able to "highlight align" to other text bounding box edges so that if you need to change the width of a column of notes all of the edges and arrows will line up correctly. Right now the text bounding box still works by eyeball mode.[/list:u:a92b4df44e]
    Last edited by bclarch; 2004-08-04 at 06:39 PM.

Default Re: Text Note Improvements

I would love to see an option whereby you can attach the arrow to the object it calls out. This way, if geometry changes in the model, annotations in the plans and elevations won't end up unattached to the model.

I also agree with bclarch.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Great list Robert!! I'm on board!

bclarch - Yes! Yes! Yes!
    A well thought out list.

I would also like to add that the bounding box for text is too large. I am always selecting text when I don't mean to. Also when stretching the text bounding box it should be able to "highlight align" to other text bounding box edges so that if you need to change the width of a column of notes all of the edges and arrows will line up correctly. Right now the text bounding box still works by eyeball mode.

I could stop if I wanted to Dean Camlin's Avatar

I agree: this is a good wish list for text. Why isn't this thread among the "wish list" category?

Dean...are you okay?...it is in the Wishlist forum "Q"

Huh . . . musta' been asleep!

All AUGI, all the time

Since this topic has not received any new posts in a while I am treating the list as being complete enough to meet most people's needs. As such, I have submitted an official request for these improvements to revit support. Even though Revit staffers do frequent this bulletin board, I urge anyone who agrees with the requested improvements to send a formal email request to them as well. The Revit staff has told us that they prioritize their programming based in part on how many requests they receive for an item. To make things simple you can click revitsupport@autodesk.com then cut and paste the list from my initial post into the email. (Feel free to edit and/or add as you wish of course.) Let's hope that these improvements can still make it into Release 6.0.

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar

Just did a code summary for a cover page and boy, am I wishing we had boldface, italic, etc. functionality within a text object. Also, when I'm listing code exceptions or code sections and I indent the line under the heading, I would love to have an indent paragraph type of feature. Currently I end up putting in a hard return, then tabbing everything.

On some jobs, because I don't have the functionality above in Revit, I end up making a pdf file out of word, then turning the pdf into a jpg, then importing the jpg to a drafting view, then placing the view on the page.

Please...

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but I would like to see text justification included.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cogen
    ...but I would like to see text justification included...
    Are you asking for something different from this?

Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Camlin
    I agree: this is a good wish list for text. Why isn't this thread among the "wish list" category?

Dean...are you okay?...it is in the Wishlist forum "Q"
    It's OK Dean. I have whole days like this... (I am LMAO anyway)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast