Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Revit Launcher

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Launcher

hi, I installed the Revit launcher and all went well up to the point where the launcher was telling me that i don't have revit 2011 installed.
    'Revit Architecture 2011 is not installed'
    As a fact it is installed and works just fine. But there might be a problem with the path. Revit 2011 is installed in german (to get the german content if required) and than switched back to english in the .ini file. The file path of the programm for this is by default
    C:\Programme\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011
    Could that be the problem?

Much appreciated.
    Kirstin

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kirstin.buehrich View Post
    hi, I installed the Revit launcher and all went well up to the point where the launcher was telling me that i don't have revit 2011 installed.
    'Revit Architecture 2011 is not installed'
    As a fact it is installed and works just fine. But there might be a problem with the path. Revit 2011 is installed in german (to get the german content if required) and than switched back to english in the .ini file. The file path of the programm for this is by default
    C:\Programme\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011
    Could that be the problem?

Much appreciated.
    Kirstin
    The local gen is looking for Revit in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011
    This is a AutohotKey default variable. You would have to go in and replace all of the %A_ProgramFiles% with C:\Programme.

Note that this could be more difficult if you are trying to use 32 and 64 bit systems.

Nick

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Revit Launcher

Hi

The first thing I must say is great script.

I have been using the script for awhile for 2009 and have no problems.

With the 2011 version I have noticed that the script does not re-create the local file. It only creates it the first time you enter the project. The pervious version used to archive your local then rename the central.

What I am finding is that the scipts fails to move the local file to the archive folder thus you end up with a copy of the central file in you "Revit Local Files \ Project_Name" folder.

Is it possibly an access rights problem ?

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Oops sorry about that Lewis, I see now that I messed up one line. I've updated the original file. If you need to access your archive it can be found at %UserProfile%\Revit Local Files\Archive\
    I had changed the location of where our local files are stored in my main script but I wanted to leave this one as is; I just missed that one line in the script. So now they will go back to C:\Revit Local Files\Archive\

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit Launcher

Thanks for the quick response Dave

Works wonderfully!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Has anyone tried to apply this concept to Revit Server?

The file is not shown as a single entity on the server so you cannot direct any action on it that way.

The only thing I can think of is to use AHK to ghost type and open Revit, hit file open, select the Revit Server Icon, select the Revit Server Models folder and from there you can paste a line in that has the folder and file name. (I have tried pasting in before you are in the Revit Server Models folder and it doesn't seem to work the same way it does for other servers.)

I have used this ghost typing method in the past and it tends to be very fragile (i.e. the user moving the mouse or typing during the run breaks the auto open). I would like to maintain the other parts of the local gen that we use, such as purge out username, open office communicator, open workshare monitor/ bluestreak, as well as ensure people are not "accidentally" opening or detaching the central file.

Any thoughts?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I was a big believer in the central file scripts, they solved the problem of users opening the central file directly and forgetting to save to a local. I wrote a script in 2006 that went through a few iterations before settling into its current condition in the middle of 2008.

Lately we have been working hard to show our staff how to use the OOTB local file creation method.

Now, things are different, our staff are smarter and they're able to focus on their work instead of wondering if that't the right script to run. Old habits die hard

Using the OOTB method solves a few problems for us:
    • Users see new central files as soon as they are created
    • Better understanding of our file management/maintenance
    • Quicker load times when you've been out of a model for a while
    • Matches the workflow we promote for other software:
      • Launch the software
      • Use the open dialogue to find a file
      • Select the file and click open
      • Easy.
    Our staff generally create a new local file every morning. With Revit Server, if they try to cut a local from an old version, they will find it's been locked. This is their reminder to go check for a new version of the file. If they open an old local for a locked (or moved/deleted) central file, a pop-up will tell them that the central file can't be found.

I do see the benefit and I like what the Revit Launcher does, but it's not for us. It'll be interesting to see what features are available in the next release of Revit Server, we're hoping for a bunch more control at the administrative level.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I've been following this thread over the past few years and using the Revit Launcher quite successfully with some major and minor tweaks. I have always been able to maintain the majority of the functionality until the 2012 release of Revit. I am still able to create a local file and open it, but now I am having trouble getting the "Specify Worksets" and the "Detach From Central" options to work.
    From what I have read, the ability to run Journal entries in 2012 is different. Is that true? What are the implications of that on your awesome tool? Do you plan future developments?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hey David is there a 2012 and 2013 version of Revit Launcher.exe, I used this script before at another firm I worked at and now I'm at a new firm. I want them to used the same script.

Thanks

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

archuniquedesign352389,
    Did you find something for 2013?
    Thanks

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456