Thread: Casework Shelf Display

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Casework Shelf Display

Just doing a little research trying to resolve some internal strategy issues... Like every AE firm in the universe, we have differences of opinion and legitimate arguments on both sides of the fence. If you have time, I welcome feedback.

Do you use a legend (similar to the attached image) rather than indicating shelving quantity on the elevations? Why or why not?

If no, do you model the shelves in your families and use detail lines in elevation, use detail lines only, nest model shelves with detail lines already in place, or something else entirely?

Again, if no, do you use visibility parameters for no shelves, one shelf or two shelves? Or do you create separate families? (We know how to do this with arrays but have abandoned that as too resource-intensive for large projects.)

If yes, assuming you created your families without the shelf lines, do you find your project teams drawing them anyway?

Again, if yes, have you had issues with shop drawing review and coordination?

Do you tag casework in plan or elevation, again more applicable to lab projects (or perhaps apartment/condo projects)?

Do you include a casework schedule in your projects or use only elevations? Do you include shelving quantity in the schedule per element or is it a global note?

Whether graphic or in a legend, do you include shelf quantity in casework schedules? (This is more applicable to firms doing research labs or science classrooms where casework is a spec item from a manufacturer rather than custom built.)

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Casework Shelf Display

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr View Post
    Just doing a little research trying to resolve some internal strategy issues... Like every AE firm in the universe, we have differences of opinion and legitimate arguments on both sides of the fence. If you have time, I welcome feedback.

Do you use a legend (similar to the attached image) rather than indicating shelving quantity on the elevations? Why or why not?

If no, do you model the shelves in your families and use detail lines in elevation, use detail lines only, nest model shelves with detail lines already in place, or something else entirely?

Again, if no, do you use visibility parameters for no shelves, one shelf or two shelves? Or do you create separate families? (We know how to do this with arrays but have abandoned that as too resource-intensive for large projects.)

If yes, assuming you created your families without the shelf lines, do you find your project teams drawing them anyway?

Again, if yes, have you had issues with shop drawing review and coordination?

Do you tag casework in plan or elevation, again more applicable to lab projects (or perhaps apartment/condo projects)?

Do you include a casework schedule in your projects or use only elevations? Do you include shelving quantity in the schedule per element or is it a global note?

Whether graphic or in a legend, do you include shelf quantity in casework schedules? (This is more applicable to firms doing research labs or science classrooms where casework is a spec item from a manufacturer rather than custom built.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Phyllis,

You have a lot of questions, in your post. I tried using a legend for casework types in a project. It didn't work so well. The front elevation images of the casework were actually the back of the casework. I thought this was my mistake, but I checked, checked & checked some more, but my families where built correctly. So NBD, just changed the view the back of the casework. I also built a casework tag for plan view. Each different type is its own family, and there for has a project specific callout. If I need to change the type in the project it will automatically update every tagged piece of casework in my project. The tag doesn't work in the legend view. So, I had to use text (not very BIM) to callout the different types.

No matter how much smart data you put into a family, it's up to the people creating the construction documents to adequately describe quantities of shelving, door hardware or whatever. I've done this with keynotes &/or schedules. If you require a contractor to count the number of shelves to be provided in a project for each shelf is not going to make them very happy. If they can look at a key or schedule to calculate the quantities, it will make their live & yours life much easier. For example shelf 1A has two shelfs & shelf 1C has 10 shelves. This was they need to count the number of 1A's and multiply it by 2. Then count the number of 1B's 1C's and multiply it by it's required number. This will translate into better shop drawings, with faster approval.

I hope this helps.

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Casework Shelf Display

We rely solely on elevations. In plan, we don't tag the casework. In elevation, we do. The shelving was built as a nested family showing lines only. It is arrayed, there are some formulas (obviously!) and shelving quantity is simply controlled by a number (from 0 upwards). We don't schedule or count the quantities. Every elevation shows what's required, including the shelving.