Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family training files

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Family training files

I have Revit 64 on my machine and am trying to download the training files for the family tutorials. Attached are the two boxed culprits. Both are to the correct paths but the training rfa's don't match up with those in those referenced in the tutorials. Is this an error or am I missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family training files

You might have to go to autodesk.com and download the files again! I know when I went to do a previous version of Revit I had to download the tutorials again!

Login to Give a bone

I just did a new install on my new 64 bit machine, so the program is fresh. Yesterday, I downloaded the files indicated in my attachment but the rfa files referenced in the tutorials aren't present in the training files. I checked and rechecked my paths so I am confident they are correct. My next move, after AUGI, is to contact Autodesk directly to insure that the files have been updated and syncronized. Thanks for the reply.

Login to Give a bone

The datasets associated with the Familes Guide are in a seperate download form the PDF/CHM file. Look a little lower on the page for the download labeled "Families Guide Imperial (or Metric) Training Files" This is the ZIP file you want to download and install to have the files referenced in the Families Guide.

The training files/RFA files installed with the default installation are out of date and do not contain all of the correct files.

Login to Give a bone

Jeff, The picture is my error. I DID unzip the correct file below (not the PDF) and the files still seem to be out of date.

Login to Give a bone

What exactly are you missing? It has been some time since that was posted but nothing should have changed? Let me know what is missing and I can verify and see what might be going on or get a new ZIP file posted.

Login to Give a bone

When I go to the program data file under My Computer I find the correct files but within Revit I cannot access them through the Training folder. I checked the path of the training folder under settings>options>file locations and the Training path exactly matches that to the same file under My Computer. I don't understand why it is not updating.

I am not missing anything, they are just not updating to the Training file

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like the places list has gooten messed up and is looking at an old folder location or something. I would try doing an open command and then delete out the traing location from the places list by right clicking on the left hand navigation bar.

Then close Revit and restart it. Now do an open command again and use a right click to edit the places and add back in a "training" folder. This will let you directly type the folder location.

By default the Families Guide files will install here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\RAC 2009\Training

It is possible they are getting instaled to a differnt folder, I believe you said you were installing to a 64 bit OS. This ZIP file was not tested in a 64 bit OS (I don't have one at my desk ) so if there is different pathing then this may be why it is getting installed incorrectly.

Login to Give a bone

It may be something with the Vista 64. All the files are there under the correct path indicated ( C:\Program Data\Autodesk\RAC 2009\Training) I deleted the old folder in Revit as per your instruction and deleted it in File locations>places. Then I tried to create a new Training Library in Places and click on the browse location button on the right, going to the exact same path as above, it shows the Imperial and Common libraries with the old files. The new files resided with the same path when I access them through My Computer but not through Revit. As I said, my machine is 64 bit running Vista 64 and Revit 64.

Attached are two shots of the problem. Note on images. I can open the family files from my C drive path, but not those in the template folder. The template files open but do so with partial data. If I have Revit open, the template files won't load at all. If Revit is not open it will open a new session of Revit but the data will be partial and greyed out with no browser loading. Again, this is only for the rfa's in the template file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zanzibarbob7; 2009-01-03 at 05:29 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I am not sure on this. If Revit is lookinf at the same folder as Windows explorer then they should see the same thing. Maybe a windows persissions thing???? I really don't know. What happens if you navigate to the folder location explicitly when using an open copmmand rather than clicking the "training" folder shortcut in places? Do you see everything then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast