Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revit Tips & Tricks

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Revit Tips & Tricks

EDIT: As of Revit 2011, you will be allowed to import/link any size dwg. However if geometry is larger than 20 miles in diameter, you'll get a warning that this might reduce reliability and result in undesirable graphic behavior.

DISCLAIMER: Be very careful when doing this as you can see severe display issues. Use at your own risk!

In Revit 2010, if you import/link a CAD file with entities that are more than 2 miles apart (20 miles in 2011) at the extremes, you will receive a warning and Revit won't let you finish the process. Basically everything in the file needs to fit on a 2 mile diameter "platter" (20 miles in 2011). Sometimes you could have a text attribute that is outside this imaginary circle that causes the issue. This tip has two parts to it: how to get around the limitation and how to clean your file so it works without workarounds.

I've been wanting to test out and write about the workaround for a while but I just came across a very well written tutorial so here it is! Thanks go to tonyisenhoff and phyllisr at EUA who shared this detailed tip here.

The second tip explains how to clean your file. Assuming you have a DWG file & Autocad, and you're sure your geometry fits on the proverbial "platter", do the following:
    1. With the file open, type the command "select" and at the prompt type "all";
    2. Now type "r" to remove objects and window your geometry. By doing this we're creating a selection set of offending objects, which sometimes are invisible. Click/spacebar/enter to exit the command;
    3. Now type "erase" and then at the prompt, type "p" (for previous). This selects the selection set completed in 2. Click/spacebar/enter to exit the command;
    4. Nothing in your file should be outside of the area you windowed, so save the file and link/import again in Revit. No error or warning should show up.
    EDIT: Thanks to a comment by "MrJackson" on my blog, here's an even faster way:
    • Hit CTRL-A to select all, then hold SHIFT while windowing the geometry you wish to keep. Then hit the DELETE key.
    And an even FASTER way, take a look here:
    • Just save your cad file to Acad 2000 format and it should allow you to load it in.
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2010-04-21 at 10:56 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Revit Tips & Tricks

This is a weird tip because all it does is solve a buggy problem that is reported under multiple symptoms. However it's becoming a frequent topic on these forums so I'll go ahead and add resources to help solve it. This issue seems to happen with Revit 2010 and unfortunately it looks like 2011 hasn't fixed the problem either.

The first person to really figure out a fix was Luke Johnson of What Revit Wants in this blog post.

Autodesk also posted this on their site.

I've also discussed it on a blog post and I'm sure others have too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12