Thread: learning roof slabs

Login to Give a bone

Default learning roof slabs

I'm experienced with ACAD but new to ACA and so this is my first stab at learning the new functions.

I'm messing around with Roof Slabs and I generally understand how to apply a profile to an edge to create a custom eave. I'm trying to develop a process whereby I will develop a 2D wall section during Preliminary Design, as per normal, but then I will use that section to generate my Roof Slab Profile. So I'm creating a roof slab, then changing my UCS to swing into a sectional view of the eave, and then blocking out a 2D wall section on a construction layer.

I see the Roof Slab and it's grips. I'd like to be able to get the slab manipulated into position over my wall section by dragging and clicking, and then I want to do some manipulation with Properties but also still be able to adjust with grips.

My problem is I'd like the Insertion Point to equal, for me, the "Magic Point" of woodframe construction, which tends to be either the inside edge of plate line for stick framing, or the upper-outer edge of sheathing for wood trusses, if you feel like shaping them that way, and we frequently do. So, I'd have thought I could get the slab inserted at the magic point, and then stretch the slab upward with the Vertical Offset to get it positioned. What bugs me is that then, when you look at Properties, the Elevation has changed by an increment exactly equal to the Vertical Offset. I get it, but yet it makes no sense to me, in that what, exactly, is the Vertical Offset measured with respect to, if not an Insertion Point? As I develop complex residential roofs, I would think it would be nice to have some Property in the Properties Pallette that I could manually set to equal the Plate Line. That's intuitive to me, but I'll be damned if I can get the software to behave that way.

How to you residential guys out there handle roofs, with precision control of the framing itself as well as whatever layers of materials and shapes make up the eave?

Thanks,
    Tim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: learning roof slabs

Quote Originally Posted by tbaldridge View Post
    I'm experienced with ACAD but new to ACA and so this is my first stab at learning the new functions.

I'm messing around with Roof Slabs and I generally understand how to apply a profile to an edge to create a custom eave. I'm trying to develop a process whereby I will develop a 2D wall section during Preliminary Design, as per normal, but then I will use that section to generate my Roof Slab Profile. So I'm creating a roof slab, then changing my UCS to swing into a sectional view of the eave, and then blocking out a 2D wall section on a construction layer.

I see the Roof Slab and it's grips. I'd like to be able to get the slab manipulated into position over my wall section by dragging and clicking, and then I want to do some manipulation with Properties but also still be able to adjust with grips.

My problem is I'd like the Insertion Point to equal, for me, the "Magic Point" of woodframe construction, which tends to be either the inside edge of plate line for stick framing, or the upper-outer edge of sheathing for wood trusses, if you feel like shaping them that way, and we frequently do. So, I'd have thought I could get the slab inserted at the magic point, and then stretch the slab upward with the Vertical Offset to get it positioned. What bugs me is that then, when you look at Properties, the Elevation has changed by an increment exactly equal to the Vertical Offset. I get it, but yet it makes no sense to me, in that what, exactly, is the Vertical Offset measured with respect to, if not an Insertion Point? As I develop complex residential roofs, I would think it would be nice to have some Property in the Properties Pallette that I could manually set to equal the Plate Line. That's intuitive to me, but I'll be damned if I can get the software to behave that way.

How to you residential guys out there handle roofs, with precision control of the framing itself as well as whatever layers of materials and shapes make up the eave?

Thanks,
    Tim
    I hate this part of the program as well. We are working at getting ACA implemented in the office, and while working through the roof learning I saw the same problems you have. The offset in the properties palette seems to go from the base 0 up to mid way in the slab. So you really cant get a good offset to the heel of a wood truss. I just edit in elevation, and draw a line from my plate to where the heel should be, grab the slabs that should be at that height and move it by doing a distance command to find out where the intersection and the top of that line are in relation to eachother. It seems to work pretty well, and is quick once you get the hang of it.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: learning roof slabs

Thanks for that. I don't mind creative workarounds, as long as I know it's the highest best way and that I'm not missing some hidden purpose to the program. Your reply helps me know what par for the course might resemble.