Thread: How to include drawings in Model space into Viewports

Login to Give a bone

Default How to include drawings in Model space into Viewports

I am using AutoCAD 2008 under Windows Vista Business. I refer to the sample drawing "c:\programe files\AutoCAD 2008\Sample\Architectural - Annotation Scaling and Multileaders.dwg".

I notice that in the layout "SECTIONS AND DETAILS", there are 4 Viewports and each Viewport shows a certain portion of the Model space in an organised manner. The drawings in the different Viewports are not selectable.

Could anyone please tell me what technique could I used to create the same effect?

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to include drawings in Model space into Viewports

Hi, welcome to AUGI.
    I've just tried both the file supplied with A2008 and the file supplied with A2009 and everything is selectable in both files when opened in A2009 on WinXP sp3.
    Are you double-clicking inside a viewport to activate it?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Jaberwok,

Thanks for your response to my post.

I opened the drawing file just by normal OPEN.

I clicked the layout "SECTIONS AND DETAILS", and selected each viewport by clicking their bourdary, examined their PROPERTIES. Inside each viewport, the objects were not selectable. The object(s) coresponded to some drawing elements in the MODEL space, this is a good way to arrange the print out, so I like to know the way to create this layout.

I appreciate very much if anyone here could help.

thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Did you double-click INSIDE a viewport?
    Viewports are paperspace objects. The things you see within a viewport are generally modelspace objects. A simple click inside a viewport will only select any object (usually text or a dimension) that happens to be there in paperspace. Double-clicking inside the viewport gives you access to modelspace and a further click on an object should select that object.
    You can also select the Model tab to switch your view entirely to modelspace.

In other drawings, if there isn't a Model tab visible, type TILEMODE [enter] 1 [enter] to switch to modelspace. (TILEMODE [enter] 0 [enter] to return).

Login to Give a bone

Hi jaberwork,

Sorry for giving you feedback so late.

Do you have any idea how I can create the Paper Space in this way: in each viewport, it contains part of the drawings in Model Space, each viewport could be placed anywhere within the paper Space. This is very useful in arranging my drawings to show different parts of the Model Space for printout.

thx.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dlauxx View Post
    Hi jaberwork,

Sorry for giving you feedback so late.

Do you have any idea how I can create the Paper Space in this way: in each viewport, it contains part of the drawings in Model Space, each viewport could be placed anywhere within the paper Space. This is very useful in arranging my drawings to show different parts of the Model Space for printout.

thx.
    Not exactly sure I understand what you're asking, but if you would like to create a layout with multiple viewports like the one you described, there are MANY ways of doing it.
    If you want one in the same drawing file, right click on the layout you want to copy and select the "Move or Copy" option and copy it, this will give you a copy of that layout tab with the viewports and everything.

If you want it in a new drawing, the quickest way would be to use design center CTRL+2, browse to the file, open the file tree until you get to Layouts, select layout name and drag and drop that layout into your new drawing. The layout needs to have a different name than one in your drawing you're dragging it into though.

Or you could copy clip (ctrl+c) the viewports and paste them (ctrl+v) in a new layout. You will need to turn the viewports back on though (command: "MVIEW", "ON") select your viewports.

Does That Help??

Login to Give a bone

Or, if starting a drawing from scratch, in paperspace (= on a layout tab) type MV (short form of MVIEW) which will help you create viewports. There is also MVSETUP which gives some more options.

Login to Give a bone

To cut out additional viewports in a layout, 1st make the existing viewport smaller or move it out of your way. Do not create a vport in a vport.

1. Open the Viewport toolbar by right clicking on any toolbar for the toolbar list.
    2. The 2nd icon on the viewport toolbar is "Single Viewport". This will let you create a rectangular view port in a new layout, buy selecting 2 points
    Option:
    3. Draw a closed object (retangle, circle, ellipse, polygon) and use "Convert Object to Viewport" from the same toolbar.

When a new viewport is created the entire model space dwg will appear in the vport. Double click in the vport to work inside it (model space) or double click outside the vport to work on your paper (paper space).

To control the scale of each individual vport:
    1. Double click in side the vport to activate. The edge of the vport will get thicker.
    2. Select a scale from the scale list at the right end of the viewport toolbar or type your own.
    3. Lock the viewport scale by double clicking outside the vport, select the vport on it's edge so the grips appear, right click and choose "Display Locked" yes OR if you're using ACAD 2008, look in the lower right corner and pick the small lock/unlock viewport icon left of the viewport scale.