See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: custom linetypes in tool palettes

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: custom linetypes in tool palettes

Let me clarify a few things. I guess I'm not explaining myself well.

When I said the linetypes load automatically I didn't mean that all the linetypes in the file would be loaded at once. What I meant was if I use the -layer command, or a script, or a lisp routine, or the tool palette to create a layer or object with the custom linetype that it would be found and loaded automatically if the linetype was defined in the ACAD.LIN.

I told the OP to use findfile if he wanted to use my suggestion of adding his custom linetype definitions to the ACAD.LIN file.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: custom linetypes in tool palettes

Thanks again to everyone for their response, although we're extremely off-course now.

I'm very familiar with linetypes, how to create and how to load them and where to place my LISP code.

The problem is with the custom linetype from the tool palette without preloading it.

It would be great to find a solution to that problem.

Thanks again everyone.

Login to Give a bone

If you put your linetype definition in the ACAD.LIN file you won't have this problem.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: custom linetypes in tool palettes

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    If you put your linetype definition in the ACAD.LIN file you won't have this problem.
    I wish it was that easy, although that doesn't solve the problem.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    When I said the linetypes load automatically I didn't mean that all the linetypes in the file would be loaded at once. What I meant was if I use the -layer command, or a script, or a lisp routine, or the tool palette to create a layer or object with the custom linetype that it would be found and loaded automatically if the linetype was defined in the ACAD.LIN.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "...use the -layer command, or a script, or a lisp routine...". Each of those requires that the linetype either exist in the drawing, or be loaded from any .LIN file....

But in the case of tool palettes, a tool on the tool palette will load a custom linetype, even if the definition for that linetype is not in the drawing, and/or whether or not the .LIN file can be found.

You can test this by creating a dummy LIN file, and load a linetype from it.
    Draw a line, assign it the new linetype.
    Create a tool palette tool from this line.
    Close AutoCAD, then delete the LIN file created above.
    Start AutoCAD, create a line from the tool created - it will have the correct linetype - even though the LIN file doesn't exist any longer... Which of course means it doesn't have to be in the support file search path, much less in a file named "Acad.lin".
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: custom linetypes in tool palettes

Hi, i'm not sure if this helps, I customize toolpalettes for my crew, layer tool generate on the fly new layer with linetype included, the trick is to use commands just like in command line, maybe you can make new command for linetype with this example.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I am trying to load linetypes via the toolpalette also, rather than having many linetype definitions in the drawing i would prefer to load the definitions on the fly.

currently i am using lee mac's (www.lee-mac.com) lisp routine to load the linetypes with the following code - load the lisp routine to load the linetype then load the linetype

^C^C(load lm_load linetypes)(lm:loadlinetypes '("wall-230-party"))^C^C_LINE

the first linetype i load works, but subsequent linetypes use the shape file used in the definition of the first linetype loaded.

ie it will not load the subsequent shape files - the linetype is listed but it appears the same as whatever the first linetype loaded was.

I have been struggling with this for months now and can not figure it out

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks
    GregB

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

So, I've read all the posts in regard to this issue and I am in the process of doing just this very same thing, accessing custom linetype from a palatte menu. I currently though have another issue I'm hoping you or someone can help me with. I am creating a linetype and I cannot seem to get it to act properly. Below you'll see the image and the code. The problem is with the start point of the linetype, it should start on the filled circle and really it would be nice to finish on one as well. Anyway first things first. The length of line or gap before the first circle I can not seem to correctly modify.

Any suggestions? The linetype was created with text and line, pretty simple I thought. The line length at the start and end of course repeats, I even removed the end circle but that doesn't flow well either when using pline as it alters the spacings of the objects. From here I creat the palatte item and then one click the linetype is there. I didn't realize I'll have an issue with a new drawing which won't have the linetype loaded in the acad.lin or customized.lin files. Hope someone has a fix for that too. But my creation is first. Thanks for the help in advance to you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chris.bird443144 View Post
    Anyway first things first. The length of line or gap before the first circle I can not seem to correctly modify.
    If I understand you correctly, you'll never be able to control that length.

In any linetype pattern, there are "X" number of elements (dash, gap, text, shape) that take up a known amount of space. Say each element takes up 0.25 units, so you have one unit of space for each repeatable segment.

So for a line that is exactly 1 unit, or 2, 3, 4, etc. - in theory it would work out perfect, but any deviation (say a line 3.9 or 4.1 units long) and in order to maintain the correct spacing of the elements, something has to give - and that something is the start and end line segments.

We have lane striping linetypes that never work out right because of this, and we have to fudge the total length to get them to work somewhat OK.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2011-12-08 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fix quote tags
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Just wondering whether anyone ever solved this? I have the same issue where it appears that only the 1st shape file is imported into a drawing when using a custom linetype that contains a shape from a tool palettes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12