Thread: Organize Block Library

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Organize Block Library

I am new to organizing an office wide block library and I was wondering what would be a good way to go about it. We are working on adding blocks, tags, objects, etc to the library but I have no idea where to start to hav it well organized. Like for example all drawing tags and labels go in one folder, dynamic blocks go in another, objects such as masonry ties, chairs, etc go in it's own.
    How have some of you set yours up?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Organize Block Library

First "Good Luck"

Best advice is keep it as simple as possible.
    Write it out on paper using a directory tree.

I have ours set up as CAD LIBRARY and inside I have several folders. Within each folder is a drawing that contains the blocks. An example is we have a drawing for 150# flanges that has every size of flange, blind in there of that particular type and we have a simlar one for 300# flanges etc.

Good luck Just remember the KISS rule.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have mine organized by function. Instead of having dynamic blocks of varying functional groups in different folders, I put them with their non-dynamic counterparts.

I have things like "Construction_Wood' in which I have my building blocks for creating parts from wood. 'Symbols' is another. 'Notes'. You get the idea.

This way, I can use design center to create palettes from the blocks, and their palette groups are named appropriately. Also, each block in that folder has the same code at the beginning. 'Sym_Centerline' or 'Sym_Slope'. This isn't really very useful to me, but it helps to be consistent.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Okay, I see what you're saying and yea, the simpler the better. Mainly it has to be understood by others and not just me.
    So far I am trying to divide everything up by function.
    CAD Library is the main folder and in that is 3d stuff and prodcut literature and whatever else...but for cad blocks, they are all in a folder called Blocks. Inside that are folders "Code Reference" for everything related to the code drawing, "Construction Elements" for stuff like brick and cmu, studs, etc. mainly the small elements used to do sections. Then "Elevator Details", "Stair Details" and so on.
    It almost starts to divide itself up based on sheet.
    Guess I'll keep going and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Login to Give a bone

I'm bumping this to offer my input, I hope it can be of of some help.

Yeah, I agree with keeping it as simple as possible. Users should not have to open a bunch of folders to get to a toilet. Try to include as many blocks as possible within the same folder.

- Have a consistent naming format, so less common content is easy to be found. For instance, the way I like to do it, is that all my blocks names first indicate what they are, then the size/spec if applicable, then the view, e.g. "VANITY-48-PLAN" , "WIND-SH-37x63-ELEV". That would allow for placement of both windows and bathroom fixtures in the same folder and still keep them organized.

- To save time, don't go crazy creating and saving blocks just for the sake of building your library. Only add content to the library as you use it/need it.

- Have easy access to the more commonly used blocks through LISP and customization of menus, dialog boxes, palettes, etc. Have insertion layers, rotation, scaling, attribute values, etc. built into your custom tools.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That makes sense. After building the library some I have realized it's easier to put multiple objects in one file instead of each object having it's own file. It will still require some further organization in the future. And I have to work on naming, right now its just what it is "toilet" or "cmu block" simple like that.