See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Gym

Login to Give a bone

Default High School Gym

Thought I'd throw out a rendering I just did. This is more of a design study rendering for in-house instead of a client presentation rendering, hence the lack of entourage, etc. Still a little "light mold" happening too, but looking pretty decent I think...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: High School Gym

and another angle, minus the light mold this time...

Login to Give a bone

Nice work Steve!

The downlights somehow don't seem to be casting the right scallop pattern on the wall. I would expect to see it start a few inches below the ceiling line instead of right at it. Perhaps the lights have a lens emitting light at the ceiling plane?

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there,
    Really nice first rendering Steve! I have been enjoying the MR learning process myself. I like the way you treated the corner in order to accomodate the pass through service openings and sign pop outs.....very creative solution!

Keep 'em coming!
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

thanks.

regarding the downlights, you're right on the pattern. There isn't a lens, but the inside of the fixture has a glow, that may be part of it, I'll see about turning that down. Also, they are defined by an ies file, but right now the emitting point of the ies web is right at the ceiling plane. Can someone with more knowledge of photometrics tell me, should that point be up into the light where the bulb would be? That my fix it...

Steve, thanks, I thought it came out pretty well. I'm actually pretty happy with the things we were able to do with this project considering the budget we were given (very small).

Login to Give a bone

Ok, got it. For some reason it was not picking up the photometric web. It was doing it in the family, but somehow when it got to the project it couldn't find it. I went to type properties of the fixture in the project file and re-browsed to the ies file and that fixed it.

Does anyone know if this would be because it's an ies that isn't stored in the default location? I have been storing them on the server, but maybe they need to be on the hard drive... Anyone know?

Turned off all the lights except that main ceiling so this one's a little darker, but here it is...
    Last edited by sfaust; 2009-01-09 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach image

Login to Give a bone

Pretty nice. Can you have an exit sign that high, though? Seems like I remember a maximum allowed height for those, since smoke would mask it pretty quickly.

Login to Give a bone

hmm. That makes sense, but I couldn't find anything in ANSI 117 or IBC 2003 with a height attached. Do you know where the requirement is?

With regard to the rendering, I went back and re-looked at my settings for my light intensity and they were way low. Like I was using about a 60 watt incandecent instead of a 100w metal halide. I made them correct and that made a lot of difference in the look and lighting, and it did a lot for the light mold as well! The trophy case image had a ton of light mold before, even with high settings. This one is just on medium and it only has a little...
    Last edited by sfaust; 2009-01-10 at 12:13 AM. Reason: forgot pictures again... argh.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: High School Gym

Nice! That looks much more realistic. I like the way you tackled the signage too.

I honestly haven't gotten around to play with lights yet (geez, close to a year since Mental Ray in Revit!!) so I can't answer regarding the IES location. The light family itself doesn't seem to be of great importance in terms of how it's modeled if you're using the photometric info.: lighting will still be interpreted correctly. The issue obviously is if you're doing a close-up shot, as the lights themselves don't look very real (no sense of depth or reflections). But the lighting in the space looks correct. One might have to model the light families a bit differently, but making them too complex might kill render time.

There seems to be no height restriction on exit signage. IBC just says that you have to locate them such that "no point in an exit access corridor is more than 100 feet (30 480 mm) or the listed viewing distance for the sign, whichever is less, from the nearest visible exit sign". Take a look at this too:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=65956

I'd say use your judgement. If your ceiling is in the 12'-0" range or under, you probably should be ok. Otherwise try to find a wall. Now back to rendering

Login to Give a bone

Throw a couple more out for good measure. I'm having fun playing with Mental Ray .

As far as the sign, yeah, it's at 16'-0", we'll probably need to look at a wall location...
    Last edited by sfaust; 2009-01-12 at 11:09 PM. Reason: and once again, I forgot the pictures...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast