Thread: Wall Poche

Login to Give a bone

Question Wall Poche

Is it possible to have a solid wall pattern and a line fill pattern in the same wall (see image for example)? This is how I like to show my walls, it stands out better. I'm trying to make my Revit plans similarto my AutoCad Standards now that I'm transfering everything over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Poche

Quote Originally Posted by eric.110455 View Post
    Is it possible to have a solid wall pattern and a line fill pattern in the same wall (see image for example)? ..... I'm trying to make my Revit plans similar to my AutoCAD Standards now that I'm transferring everything over.
    No. You could create a very dense custom hatch pattern, but I would actually advise against it.

You will find that you may need to re-examine a significant portion of your drafting conventions/standards as you move farther into Revit. Although VERY painful, making some changes to work more in-line with the way Revit works will ease the transition, and allow a much quicker potential gain in productivity. Fighting the way Revit works, is a losing battle in the long run... IMHO

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Wall Poche

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    No. You could create a very dense custom hatch pattern, but I would actually advise against it.

You will find that you may need to re-examine a significant portion of your drafting conventions/standards as you move farther into Revit. ........Fighting the way Revit works, is a losing battle in the long run... IMHO
    Hey there,
    Agreed! I found it to be the case with a lot of "drafing standards".
    And, best of luck moving over to Revit.....It was well worth it too!!

And....Don't get me wrong...
    Revit will allow you to do a lot of things that "they" say you can't or shouldn't do....don't let "them" stop you from trying. I have found many, many ways to mimic my 'hand drafting' standards so that they graphically pop out and read in a manner which I prefer! Along with other creative ways to model things and work the way you want. Revit is very flexible in that way I feel. Sometimes it is good to think outside of the box!
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by SCShell View Post
    Sometimes it is good to think outside of the box!
    ...and sometimes that "out of the box" is thinking about things you couldn't do with traditional cad, but now can with BIM. Better project delivery. More information for the client. Better QA/QC.

For instance - door schedules. The traditional way sucks. We make this big list that only asists the contrator in purchasing the doors. Doesn't do anything for the code reviewer. Nothing for the architects. How about a door tag that has a size, frame type, panel type and rating right on the plan? Wouldn't that be simple for the architect and code official to review and edit? Sure we can still do the traditional shopping list of doors, but having the infrmation in the context of the walls and plan is much more useful information. With BIM it all remains coordinated.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you guys for your comments. Yes, I'm finding out very quickly that the Autocad approah of designing/drafting needs to be forgotten when in Revit, "just adapt to Revit's way and you'll have a great day"...(sorry I couldn't help myself). So far I love Revit and no way am I ever going back to AutoCad/ADT, just the thought of clicking my Autocad icon on my desktop gets me in bad mood. Thank you Revit, designing (my Job) is fun again.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds great! Care to share that door tag?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry its not a door tag, that snap-shot is from an Autocad file, all it is is text.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by greg.mcdowell View Post
    Sounds great! Care to share that door tag?
    Well it is a bit more than just a tag. The doors need shared parameters matching the tags. And it uses instance parameters for with and height so you only need one door for each type rather than a whole catalog of door sizes. This allows for the size to be typed in on the tag and automatically updates the door size on the plan.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

@Eric - I was trying to get aaron's attention...

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    How about a door tag that has a size, frame type, panel type and rating right on the plan?
    @aaron - Still interested if you get back to this thread. I know I can make it myself. Curious to see how others work.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    Well it is a bit more than just a tag. The doors need shared parameters matching the tags. And it uses instance parameters for with and height so you only need one door for each type rather than a whole catalog of door sizes. This allows for the size to be typed in on the tag and automatically updates the door size on the plan.
    Using width and height as instance parameters, seems interesting. Does this apply to double doors also? How about non-equal double leafs? I'm thinking of the different type's of doors we use, and wondering if this approach would work with most, I think users would prefer this method over switching between types or choosing a type.

Thanks for the idea!!