View Poll Results: Would you like the ability to make walls non-vertical, by specifying the angle when creating the wal

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes--this tool would be very valuable

66 88.00%
  • No--I would never use this tool

9 12.00%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-vertical walls

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Non-vertical walls

Please vote in poll:

Subject: Have the ability to make non-vertical walls WITHOUT having to create
    a Mass, and then convert face to wall.

The angle from vertical could be specified in Properties of the wall.

I think this subject has been posted quite a bit and deserves a vote!

cheers.....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Non-vertical walls

Would be nice, but it should also have the ability to select (and ad) the vertices and/or edges of the wall and move them so tha wall slants. You can graphically see what you're doing instead of just having to deal with a dialog box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Non-vertical walls

Agreed-multiple grip/edit points would be even better! ( did you do the example in Max? )

However, for this poll--just trying to start with a basic request--with the angle/slope tool as a minimum.

Visibility---also agreed---You should be able to see the wall tilt onscreen as you type in the angle in the dialog box.

Revit already allows control of angles of walls in Plan.
    Roofs, Ceilings and Slabs can have slopes defined. Beams can have angles--varying "z" heights, angles in plan, etc.

But Walls are stuck in "plumb" mode. This is
    needlessly limiting--and only in one of the x, y and z axes! The "building maker"
    mass conversion is just too cumbersome for a simple non-vertical wall.

BTW--the "vertical wall angle tool" would include Curtainwalls and Storefronts--as they are host walls as well.

As once was so famously stated: "ask and you shall receive......" LOL!!

cheers.......

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Non-vertical walls

I think the only solution was, is and always will be a full set of modeling commands in Revit, like every other modeler has... So, you can make whatever you want with the right tool and name it a wall.... or a floor.... or a roof... and then use boolean ops for attachment... Everything else is not enough for today's architecture and 3d modeling.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dpasa View Post
    I think the only solution was, is and always will be a full set of modeling commands in Revit, like every other modeler has... So, you can make whatever you want with the right tool and name it a wall.... or a floor.... or a roof... and then use boolean ops for attachment... Everything else is not enough for today's architecture and 3d modeling.
    I agree with dpasa here. If there's one thing Google Sketchup (only other modeling programme i used to use) has over Revit, it's the ability to pretty much model whatever you wanted. Some things are naturally more difficult in Sketchup than they are in Revit, but the fact is you CAN do them with basic knowledge of Sketchup.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

*bump back to top*

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

So what you're all asking is an inplace extrusion kind of family, which would inherit the parameters for certain instance families such as walls, floors and roofs.
    The difference between a wall and a floor is that a wall typically has a length, and a floor has an area. Walls are very much 'onedimensional' (linebased) while floors and roofs are more 2D/3D.
    It's a good point very well made and I agree that not all walls are vertical. The biggest 'if' I see here is the autojoin function with other family types (which we, as probably many contractors, disable by default) and how doors and windows would behave.

This request would IMO create a new set of issues, with probably more pain than gain. But I'd like to see them pull it off.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What the original poster and AP suggest actually has some merit, and it could definetely be useful. I dont mind the Massing/Wall by Face tool for large shapes of buildings... But for a single wall here and there, its just not efficient, or... streamlined.

For the Push/Pull/Sketchup-can-do-everything-crew, im really curious about HOW you see this "new set of tools" working. And i dont mean in rhetoric, i mean REALLY.

In sketchup, we can "pull" something up, then "sketch" on one side, and "push or pull" it in or out, then delete faces of it.

Okay, well in Revit that "thing" that we pulled up has a definition, sometimes with layers of certain thicknesses. So we would have to define A layer to vary, right? Or multiple? And how does it wrap all the layers as you deform it? And when you delete a face, what does it delete, since Revit isnt a face-based modeler?

"Do whatever you want and call it a floor...' makes me nervous. Im not saying all the tools in Revit work as they need to, certainly there is TONS of room for improvement. But id really like to hear how this would work. It sounds like some people would be happy if the entire program was a giant in-place-family-fest. Yikes..

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

bump back to top................

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    Please vote in poll:

Subject: Have the ability to make non-vertical walls WITHOUT having to create
    a Mass, and then convert face to wall.

cheers.....
    A small point, but I use the create tool, not the Massing tool

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast