View Poll Results: Would you like the ability to make walls non-vertical, by specifying the angle when creating the wal

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes--this tool would be very valuable

66 88.00%
  • No--I would never use this tool

9 12.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Non-vertical walls

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Non-vertical walls

Quote Originally Posted by doe View Post
    they have this in archicad, and i've been asking for this in revit since about version 6 or 7...
    When I was using ArchiCAD, I was very happy when Graphisoft introduced this parameter... And then, several months down the road, I realized that I hadn't used it a single time in a real project situation.

Now that I've been using Revit, I have encountered a couple scenarios where I needed a canted wall. But, that wall did so much more than simply lean... It curved at the top to blend with a ceiling pad. It folded at the base, to integrate with some millwork. The profile was neither simple nor orthogonal. I ended up modeling it as an in-place family. That worked fine.

Here's the issue... Even if Revit Walls had a "Slant" parameter, it still would not have satisfied this particular design situation. The in-place family editor gave me much more control than trying to create it in ArchiCAD (that does have a "Slant" parameter).

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Non-vertical walls

YES=40
    NO=6 ( Again--anyone care to explain WHY?)

cheers...................

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Non-vertical walls

Quote Originally Posted by saeborne View Post
    When I was using ArchiCAD, I was very happy when Graphisoft introduced this parameter... And then, several months down the road, I realized that I hadn't used it a single time in a real project situation.

Now that I've been using Revit, I have encountered a couple scenarios where I needed a canted wall. But, that wall did so much more than simply lean... It curved at the top to blend with a ceiling pad. It folded at the base, to integrate with some millwork. The profile was neither simple nor orthogonal. I ended up modeling it as an in-place family. That worked fine.

Here's the issue... Even if Revit Walls had a "Slant" parameter, it still would not have satisfied this particular design situation. The in-place family editor gave me much more control than trying to create it in ArchiCAD (that does have a "Slant" parameter).
    That's why we should be able to have tools for all these params... Another solution could be some import/export options so that we could use other modelers...
    I don't think that being able to read the 3dm or obj file of the attached image is difficult... Also it is quite easy to turn it to a multilayered wall...A shell command with some params would do it... Sorry for not being able to justify my opinion, I am not a programmer, but I think it is possible
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

dpasa,

I agree!

cheers...........

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    dpasa,

I agree!

cheers...........
    Good to hear,thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dpasa View Post
    I don't think that being able to read the 3dm or obj file of the attached image is difficult... Also it is quite easy to turn it to a multilayered wall...A shell command with some params would do it... Sorry for not being able to justify my opinion, I am not a programmer, but I think it is possible
    I am not sure I understand the difficulty. I made the attached form in Revit with not much trouble. Made it into a multi layered wall. It is not an exact match for your shape but it is as close as I could get quickly looking at the images. Modeled all in Revit, no need for a file import from another modeler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Non-vertical walls

The subject of the thread is:

Plain and simple--a tool to "tilt" a wall--to make it "non-vertical".

Some of the posts have been expanding this basic concept to more complex
    modeling abilities--which are great also--but over and above the basic issue
    in the thread.

So--let's keep on the main subject--and anyone who has voted NO
    PLEASE EXPLAIN!!

cheers....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We do various tapered surfaces in our designs. In keeping with the BIM idea, those tapered surfaces are never as simple as a tapered wall surface when considered from a detailing point of view.

Example, tapered cultured stone. We often acheive the taper by putting tapered furring within the wall construction.

I'd like to be able to go into the wall type "modify" section view and pick the line between layers, and say "shows in plan/doesn't show in plan" and rotate one of the wall layers from the bottom, or give a top and bottom dimension... then any layers on top of that one are tapered.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    The subject of the thread is:

Plain and simple--a tool to "tilt" a wall--to make it "non-vertical".

Some of the posts have been expanding this basic concept to more complex
    modeling abilities--which are great also--but over and above the basic issue
    in the thread.

So--let's keep on the main subject--and anyone who has voted NO
    PLEASE EXPLAIN!!

cheers....

Im really not trying to be argumentative, but let me make sure i have this straight:

1. The post is about tilting walls.
    2. If you chime in asking for MORE than that, wonderful.
    3. If you chime in questioning why you NEED that, youre not welcomed in the post.

Besides, i still have questions about this *dream tool* that i posted above that no one seems to have an answer for... besides "Sketchup could do it..."

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Im really not trying to be argumentative, but let me make sure i have this straight:

1. The post is about tilting walls.
    2. If you chime in asking for MORE than that, wonderful.
    3. If you chime in questioning why you NEED that, youre not welcomed in the post.

Besides, i still have questions about this *dream tool* that i posted above that no one seems to have an answer for... besides "Sketchup could do it..."

1. Yes
    2. No, actually--just trying to keep the thread on subject--the simple "tilt-wall" tool.
    The more complex issues would be for another discussion.
    3. I'm asking for those who answered NO to explain WHY they would never use the tool
    given that it works (not long dissertations on current software limitations/programming issues, etc.)

PS--my orig. comment about SU was to point out that since Revit can not tilt a simple wall easily--some users will fall back to simpler modeling tools--which we DO NOT
    want them to do. No praise for SU intended--quite the contrary!
    No one has the technical programming answers for the "dream tool" that is the Factory's job, and why us users should be asking for new, useful tools.

cheers.............

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast