Thread: Details on Door Schedule

Login to Give a bone

Default Details on Door Schedule

I want to know what I have to do so that the head,sill & jamb details shows on the Door Schedule. If I can get the same information for the Harware set and the Fire Rating will be excellent.

I'm not using project navigator for this project (shame on me!) and I don't want to enter the information for every door. I want this information to be part of the door style.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all the memebers of the AUGI.

Damian

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Details on Door Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by damian.trostinetzky View Post
    I want to know what I have to do so that the head,sill & jamb details shows on the Door Schedule. If I can get the same information for the Harware set and the Fire Rating will be excellent.

I'm not using project navigator for this project (shame on me!) and I don't want to enter the information for every door. I want this information to be part of the door style.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all the memebers of the AUGI.

Damian
    Welcome to AUGI and congrats on your first post

Basically, you have to first edit your PSD (property set data). Right click on your door and edit door style, go to the general tab and hit the property set button. That will let you know what PSD is loaded for your door.

Once you figure that out, go to your style manager ( _aecstylemanager) and go to Documentation Objects, then Property Set Definitions. Expand that and find the one for your door. Once you select it, you'll see the definitions on the right. You can add manual or automatic definitons. In your case, the head, sill, and jamb will be automatic since CAD will know what they are when you insert your door. Those may already be there, but not be part of the schedule. The fire rating and hardware will be manual. You add the different definitions by selecting the appropriate icon on the right.

The automatic ones will take care of themselves, but you'll need to input the info for the manual ones.

Once your PSD is set up, create a door. Right click on it and choose "copy door style and assign". This is where you'll create your custom door, name it, fill in the manual properties, etc. Once you get it the way you want, for example 1 hour rated with hardware set A, you can then create a door tool. Whenever you use that door tool, it will insert the door with the correct PSD. I think you'll need to create a door drawing because I'm pretty sure the doors have to be saved somewhere so the tool knows what to insert. I'd put it in the same directory as your other ACA stuff which should be in C:/program data/autodesk/acd a-2009/enu/aec content/imperial. OR metric if you're using metric.

Okay, so create your PSD, then your doors. Save the door file there. Now, you have to create a schedule. I'd start with an existing one, then edit and add the columns you want. When you add a column, it asks you which column out of which PSD you want, so just pick the ones you just created and it should work.

If not, let me know. I'm going off memory here so I coulda told you wrong!
    It's not that difficult once you do it a few times. Good luck.

Login to Give a bone

Dzatto,

Thanks for your congratulations and explanation.

I found that I have all the properties in the door style, now when I go to the Properties Set Definitions I found just one category for the Door Style but not for the specific door style I'm looking for. Also there is no automatic set for the details.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong,thanks.

Damian

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Welcome to AUGI and congrats on your first post

Basically, you have to first edit your PSD (property set data). Right click on your door and edit door style, go to the general tab and hit the property set button. That will let you know what PSD is loaded for your door.

Once you figure that out, go to your style manager ( _aecstylemanager) and go to Documentation Objects, then Property Set Definitions. Expand that and find the one for your door. Once you select it, you'll see the definitions on the right. You can add manual or automatic definitons. In your case, the head, sill, and jamb will be automatic since CAD will know what they are when you insert your door. Those may already be there, but not be part of the schedule. The fire rating and hardware will be manual. You add the different definitions by selecting the appropriate icon on the right.

The automatic ones will take care of themselves, but you'll need to input the info for the manual ones.

Once your PSD is set up, create a door. Right click on it and choose "copy door style and assign". This is where you'll create your custom door, name it, fill in the manual properties, etc. Once you get it the way you want, for example 1 hour rated with hardware set A, you can then create a door tool. Whenever you use that door tool, it will insert the door with the correct PSD. I think you'll need to create a door drawing because I'm pretty sure the doors have to be saved somewhere so the tool knows what to insert. I'd put it in the same directory as your other ACA stuff which should be in C:/program data/autodesk/acd a-2009/enu/aec content/imperial. OR metric if you're using metric.

Okay, so create your PSD, then your doors. Save the door file there. Now, you have to create a schedule. I'd start with an existing one, then edit and add the columns you want. When you add a column, it asks you which column out of which PSD you want, so just pick the ones you just created and it should work.

If not, let me know. I'm going off memory here so I coulda told you wrong!
    It's not that difficult once you do it a few times. Good luck.

I think I made a mistake because I'm using ACA 2008. I don't know if there is any difference between the versions regarding the schedules.

Login to Give a bone

Dzatto,

Thanks for your congratulations and explanation.

I found that I have all the properties in the door style, now when I go to the Properties Set Definitions I found just one category for the Door Style but not for the specific door style I'm looking for. Also there is no automatic set for the details.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong,thanks.

Damian
    Okay, you just lost me! I'm not understanding your question.

Here's a snippet of the style manager showing the PSD. You can see on the right the icons I was talking about. The first one is for a manual property, the second one is for an automatic property.

You can create your own door PSD by copying the one you found. Then you can add what you want to that one and associate it with the door style you create.

I forgot to mention that you can also go the the Extended Data tab of the properties palette (when you have a door selected) and that will allow you to see all the PSD's associated with the door and change the manual ones. The automatic ones can only be changed by changing the door locations in the design tab of the properties palette.

From what I remember, 2008 should be the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Dzatto,

I understand what you are saying and showing me.

I see in the categories Door object, Door Style, etc. My questions is which one of this categories is the one where I have to change the Data.
    In my PSD I don't have Door Object. (See attached)

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for your help

Damian

Login to Give a bone

Dzatto,

I understand what you are saying and showing me.

I see in the categories Door object, Door Style, etc. My questions is which one of this categories is the one where I have to change the Data.
    In my PSD I don't have Door Object. (See attached)

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for your help

Damian
    Oh okay. You can either add to Door Style, or create your own. I'd probably create my own. Do that in the style manager. Right click on the Door Style PSD and copy, then paste. Then rename it. Under the Applies To tab, select Styles and Definitions, then choose door style. you may also want to include door/window assembly style just in case. Once you do that, go to the definitions tab and create your definitions like I explained before.

When all that's done, you should be able to go to your door, right click and edit door style. Under the general tab, click on property sets. Then there's a button to add a property set. Hit that and a box will open with your new property set and a check mark. Hit okay to add it and then fill out the manual ones.

Login to Give a bone

I think I made a mistake because I'm using ACA 2008. I don't know if there is any difference between the versions regarding the schedules.
    There are no significant differences between 2008 and 2009 with regard to how property sets and properties work.

Head, sill and jamb detail references would need to be manual properties. If these are the same for every door of a given style, you can attach these manual properties to the Door Style as part of a style-based Property Set Definition.

Dan gave you an description of what you need to do. In case that was not clear, here is an outline of what you will need:

1. A Property Set Definition that applies to Door Styles (and, if you like, Door/Window Assembly Styles). The out-of-the-box DoorStyles Property Set Definition could be used for this - you may need to add additional properties to hold the desired data - or you can create a new one. Either way, select the Applies To tab and verify that the Property Set Definition applies to Styles and Definitions (radio button at the top) and that Door Style (and Door/Window Assembly Style, if you want) are checked. On the Definition tab, add a manual property for each datum you want to add (HeadDetail, JambDetail and SillDetail). Provide a meaningful default value for each. Make certain this Property Set Definition (as revised, if starting with an existing one) is copied to all files with doors that need these properties. If you have office standard Door Styles, make certain to eventually copy this to your office standard source file. Even if the detail references are not the same for all projects, having the Property Set attached to your Door Styles in the source file means it will come along for the ride when inserted into a new file (provided that Property Set does not already exist in the file).

2. Edit your Door Style. On the General Tab, select the Property Sets... button at the bottom. Take a look at the Edit Property Set Data dialog that opens. If you started with an existing Property Set Definition that is already attached, you should see it in the dialog (you may need to scroll down) and you can edit the values of any manual properties.

2A. If the Property Set is not already attached, select the Add property sets button in the lower left, which should be active if you copied the Property Set Definition to the current file. Make certain that your Property Set is checked in the Add Property Sets dialog, then click OK to add that Property Set to this Door Style. You should now be able to find that Property Set in the Edit Property Set Data dialog and can add the values appropriate for this style.

3. Edit the Schedule Table Style you use for your Door Schedule, and add columns for the style-based manual properties you added. The Property Set Definition that contains these properties must be in the same file as the Schedule Table Style in order to be able to add them. Note that if you have a file with an "old" version of the Property Set Definition that does not have your new properties (not a problem if you created a new Property Set Definition - unless you add more properties to it at a later time) and you add the new Schedule Table Style, with the new columns, the new columns will "disappear". That is because the Property Set Definitions associated with a Schedule Table Style are only copied along with the Schedule Table Style if a Property Set of that name does not already exist in the target file. Update the Property Set Definition first, then add the Schedule Table Style. This is a good reason to have a source file for your Property Set Definitions and Schedule Table Styles and pull them in from that, rather than loading up your template files with these items.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

There is one caveat to placing detail callouts in the door styles, and that is, ALL doors must have the callouts in the style. Otherwise, the schedule would need two sets of detail columns, one set for details by style and one set for detail by object. It's the bacon and egg thing.

In our practice, it is not practicle to place detail callouts in the styles. It is also laborious to go to every door and complete the information. In that case, we select all doors with the same details and complete that portion of the schedule information at one time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham View Post
    There is one caveat to placing detail callouts in the door styles, and that is, ALL doors must have the callouts in the style. Otherwise, the schedule would need two sets of detail columns, one set for details by style and one set for detail by object. It's the bacon and egg thing.

In our practice, it is not practicle to place detail callouts in the styles. It is also laborious to go to every door and complete the information. In that case, we select all doors with the same details and complete that portion of the schedule information at one time.

Maybe you are right and it's the easiest way to get it done. I was trying to get everything most automatized becuase the project I'm working on has more that 3000 doors.

Thanks

Damian