Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active Workset is changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

I could stop if I wanted to Baldwin_4-6-0's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Active Workset is "Magically" changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

Ok, maybe this has been answered before, but I cannot find a thread on it.

When working alone on a workshared/workset project, all things are fine, I am placing all my model objects on the ex: "Barrcks Exterior Walls Workset" and it stays that way.

Other people start getting involved with the project and some how the Active workset changes magically to the "Shared levels & grids Workset", or worse to the "Structural link Workset" (which is set to not be visible in views) and this makes everything they create disappear automattically.

I know these people are not changing the active workset, but somehow it's being changed and stuff is being modeled on the wrong workset.

What is the deal with this? is there a fix?
    Last edited by Baldwin_4-6-0; 2009-01-14 at 03:47 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Active Workset is changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

What, this hasn't happened to anyone?

Please, at least let me know if this has happened to you.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Active Workset is changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

The only way that Worksets can be manipulated is by Users.

Someone working on either the Central File or a local copy has to gain permission/borrow
    the workset, make it current, and place content on it.

There is no mysterious "workset devil" that I know of !!! ( jokes! )

The Workset Monitor shows all users and which worksets are in use, etc.
    If you are not using it--you should give it a try--very handy esp. when more than 2-3
    staff are working on a project.

Cheers...........

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Active Workset is changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

Ok thanks for answering the thread at least, and I'd like to believe that, but I know that some of our users don't even know how to change the Active Workset, and it is still being changed.

So a "Workset Gremlin" there might be.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Active Workset is changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

If you find him let us know!!!!

cheers...............

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    If you find him let us know!!!!
    IF someone is changing a workset temporarily, and saves to central, the Central file remembers that "changed workset" Therefore, if some then makes a new local, they have that workset as the active workset.

I have a designer that does not actually work in the model, but once a week or so, opens it, and pans around, looks at views. Then he saves to central and gets out. He usually has a completely different workset active when he saves to central, so the remainder of the teams has to watch out for this.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    IF someone is changing a workset temporarily, and saves to central, the Central file remembers that "changed workset" Therefore, if some then makes a new local, they have that workset as the active workset.

I have a designer that does not actually work in the model, but once a week or so, opens it, and pans around, looks at views. Then he saves to central and gets out. He usually has a completely different workset active when he saves to central, so the remainder of the teams has to watch out for this.
    That seems close to what may be happening.

I have the 3 people working on the project, all of a sudden the Active workset is changed (and they ARE NOT changing it themselves). Then I have all the users change their "Active Workset" to same "Active Workset" as each other, is this the problem?

Does each team member HAVE TO BE doing work on a different "Active Workset" then their other team members?

Maybe I missed something in Worksets 101?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Active Workset is changing to a different Active Workset and objects being modeled on the wrong workset.

Worksets can be Owned or Borrowed.

Owned= only Owner can edit

Borrowed= borrower can edit temporarily.

The active workset is controllable by each user--and can be different
    at each user's workstation.

A user can only make active those worksets which are not Owned by another user.

Does this help? (did you find the workset devil? ) jokes............

cheers

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin_4-6-0 View Post
    Does each team member HAVE TO BE doing work on a different "Active Workset" then their other team members?
    Not if they are borrowing items, or just creating new one. If one person checks out that workset, then yes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    Worksets can be Owned or Borrowed.

Owned= only Owner can edit

Borrowed= borrower can edit temporarily.

The active workset is controllable by each user--and can be different
    at each user's workstation.

A user can only make active those worksets which are not Owned by another user.

Does this help? (did you find the workset devil? ) jokes............

cheers
    I had been having the users "borrow" for the same Active Workset.

I am wondering if this is why the Active Workset is magically changing after they are Saving to Central?

When I open the file in the morning the Active Workset has been mysteriously changed to the Shared Levels & Grids Workset. (and they ARE NOT changing it themselves)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast