Thread: Family Type Parameter category problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Family Type Parameter category problem

I have made a main family, with for example 4 nested families. All these families are in the Generic category.

Now I want to make 2 family type parameters. But the problem is that when I create the parameter it obviously takes all 4 nested families, cause they're all in the Generic category.

Is there a way to split them up? So I have 2 nested families for the first parameter, and 2 for the other one?

I could assign a different category to 2 nested families, but picking some random category isn't really a smart solution.

I know you can create sub categories via settings>object styles. But I can't seem to use that either, maybe someone knows a solution using that?

Thanks!

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family Type Parameter category problem

How does the parameter 'take' all 4 nested families? Could you describe what you're working on? Are you trying to label a nested family so you get two dropdown menus with two nested families each?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by clog boy View Post
    How does the parameter 'take' all 4 nested families? Could you describe what you're working on? Are you trying to label a nested family so you get two dropdown menus with two nested families each?
    yeah, that's what I want, my explanation might've been a bit confusing. When I add a Family Type parameter (or 'label') to one of the nested families, it automatically adds ('takes') the other families of that same category to the parameter dropdown list, I don't want that!

Login to Give a bone

I didn't know it discriminates category, thanks for that info.
    As long as the nested families don't have to appear in schedules, then I think any appropriate category will do.

Login to Give a bone

I didn't know it discriminates category, thanks for that info.
    As long as the nested families don't have to appear in schedules, then I think any appropriate category will do.
    Well, in fact, they most likely will be necessairy in the future. I'm investigating all possibilities in Revit with families for my thesis. The additional idea is that all info in a Revit project will be exported using a macro. Not with schedules tho, but still, the name of the category is something to export.

Login to Give a bone

Here's something probably... you might want to load both pairs of families into another family, then give them a visibility checkbox. Load both pairs into the eventual family and go to properties. Check the gray box behind the added visibility parameters to link them to a yes/no parameter in the parent family.
    You can then display either family of the pair by adding a formula to the checkbox, for instance if the parameters are named 'nested1' and 'nested2' then give nested2 the formula '=not(nested1)'.

There might be easier ways, but if this fixes it for you then feel free to experiment.

Login to Give a bone

Here's something probably... you might want to load both pairs of families into another family, then give them a visibility checkbox. Load both pairs into the eventual family and go to properties. Check the gray box behind the added visibility parameters to link them to a yes/no parameter in the parent family.
    You can then display either family of the pair by adding a formula to the checkbox, for instance if the parameters are named 'nested1' and 'nested2' then give nested2 the formula '=not(nested1)'.

There might be easier ways, but if this fixes it for you then feel free to experiment.
    That's a clever idea! But unfortunately both groups of families have to be visible together as well

if only you could create new categories! Or at least subcategories which you can use for family type parameters

I'll experiment some more, thanks for your help