See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Backup Files

Login to Give a bone

Talking Backup Files

So for some reason my backup files aren't showing up when I try to open them. I'm going to "File" > "Backups" > and browsing to my backup folder and the folder is empty. I've Gone to files that are several years old also to check and those backup folders are empty. I've been reading the Help Menu and i'm pretty sure i'm doing it right. I've done it in the past with older versions of Revit, that's why i'm confused. I have browsed to the backup folders with a windows explorer folder and the files are there. Any ideas why my backup folders are empty?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backup Files

Quote Originally Posted by dsw98 View Post
    So for some reason my backup files aren't showing up when I try to open them. I'm going to "File" > "Backups" > and browsing to my backup folder and the folder is empty. I've Gone to files that are several years old also to check and those backup folders are empty. I've been reading the Help Menu and i'm pretty sure i'm doing it right. I've done it in the past with older versions of Revit, that's why i'm confused. I have browsed to the backup folders with a windows explorer folder and the files are there. Any ideas why my backup folders are empty?
    You are talking about a workset-enabled project right? When you are inside of Revit they will always appear blank in the dialog box from within Revit. What you are selecting on is the folder. Then Revit does the rest, listing all of the save to central times.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Backup Files

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    You are talking about a workset-enabled project right? When you are inside of Revit they will always appear blank in the dialog box from within Revit. What you are selecting on is the folder. Then Revit does the rest, listing all of the save to central times.
    yes it's a work share enabled project. The problem is my Dialog box is empty after I select the specified folder. See the attached PDF.

I could stop if I wanted to bbeck's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just click open. They changed this interface from '08 to '09. Even though you have browsed down to the correct folder location, there isn't really a file to select to open. Once you select open, the dialog box will pop-up with your backup date choices to either rollback or save as.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Backup Files

yes it's a work share enabled project. The problem is my Dialog box is empty after I select the specified folder. See the attached PDF.

Okay I feel sheepish. I was double clicking the backup folder when I should have only be clicking on it once to select it, then clicking "OPEN". I found what I was looking for.

Login to Give a bone

Don't feel sheepish... this is one of the most asinine designed software procedure I've ever come across... finding appropriate words to describe how utterly idiotic this is... I'm at a loss.

They just never fail to amaze me how bad they are at designing UI. What really pisses me off though is that I read these Factory blog posts where they wax poetically about how they analyze the little details of design and then they unload this... ugghhh!

Okay I feel sheepish. I was double clicking the backup folder when I should have only be clicking on it once to select it, then clicking "OPEN". I found what I was looking for.

the Wild, Wild West! (previously DC/VA, NYC...)
    Login to Give a bone

What the?!
    I was doing the exact same thing.
    I have been researching how to recover/rollback a Revit file for [longer than I'll admit here], and kept getting the same results. I read and re-read the instructions, and thought I was doing everything correctly.

This, IMHO, *is* an inconsistent application of standard user-interface dialog box, and therefore confusing.

For future reference (to help anyone else who may have this same trouble) attached is a screenshot that I hope will explain better the subtleties of how to restore a backup Revit file for workset enabled projects.
    The screen shot is from Revit Architecture 2011, but should be the same for other flavors.

HTH!

-tony
    Attached Images Attached Images