Thread: Scripter/Animator

Login to Give a bone

Default Scripter/Animator

Is there anywhere out there where there are some detailed instructions on how to use scripter or animator. Out at AU this year one of the presentations had the columns being built from the ground up and slabs coming in from above. I have looked at the NavisWorks manual that is supplied with the software and it doesn't seem to help at all.

Thanks,

Chris

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Scripter/Animator

I'm having similar issues trying to teach myself the Animator and Scripter through the NavisWork Tutorials... I can't seem to find much help in this matter, any advice is appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Same Here. Can anyone share / export existing scripts?

Login to Give a bone

I have attached some screenshots of a simulation that I have created in which I have several things going on at once. I hope the screenshots help in setting everything up.

I placed red boxes around certain areas, so you can see the relationship between Animator, Scripter, and Timeliner Tasks.

Once I able to figure out the workflow process, it's not too bad. If you aren't sure how to setup certain things, go through the tutorials. Again, once you have an idea of workflow, the tutorials will help.

If you need me to break things downs and explain a little further, I would be more then happy to. I have been where you are at, so I know the feeling of things coming together like it suppose to.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Scripter/Animator

Hi. There is an AOTC course ware book with files and exercises you can purchase from the Autodesk store:

http://tinyurl.com/c8nab4

Additionally, you might want to check around to see if a local reseller teaches Navisworks. I currently teach it on the west coast and because of distance and needs such as yours, I am developing some online classes on several of the modules. Animator and Scriptor being one class actually.

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at the course ware. The chapter on Scripter is not extensive, but shows you how to set up collision scripts and proximity scripts (door opening, closing, etc.) There are other uses as well, but frequently people are looking for that type of scripting.

Best regards,

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Teresa,

Ive been using NavisWorks since 5.0 and the new scripter and animator in 2009 is just a bit confusing, i am checking on this book trying to get it cheaper than what is on the web

-Chris

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Does anyone know why scripts are not working when an animation is exported to .avi?

We can export animations linked to activities in a timeline fine, but when we try to export a viewpoint animation that uses a proximety script to activate a scene animation to open doors it ignores the script, even though it works fine when played back within navis.

(Yes Scripts are turned on)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Eric for the images outlining the process for adding Timeliner scripting triggers... I still need a little help with understanding the "On Variable" settings for triggering the script. I haven't been able to find any information on these variables. What variable can I use from the Timeliner to trigger the animation script? Please see attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by payre View Post
    Does anyone know why scripts are not working when an animation is exported to .avi?

We can export animations linked to activities in a timeline fine, but when we try to export a viewpoint animation that uses a proximety script to activate a scene animation to open doors it ignores the script, even though it works fine when played back within navis.

(Yes Scripts are turned on)
    I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know the answer to this? Is it possible to export to an avi file and have the scripts working?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

No I don't believe this is possible. An answer from an Autodesk person implied that the feature was for live interacting with the model.

The work around if you want doors opening, cranes moving etc. in an exported avi...

1. Create a timeliner task with a duration equal to the length of your viewpoints animation,
    2. Link your object animations to shorter tasks timed to occur at the right point of the viewpoints animation,
    3. link your viewpoints animation to the timeline - Simulate Tab in Timeliner => Settings
    4. export the timeliner

Sounds simple but it can get messy.
    Last edited by payre; 2012-08-03 at 06:00 AM. Reason: added detail