Thread: Dynamic Blocks and Point Markers

Login to Give a bone

Angry Dynamic Blocks and Point Markers

I was wondering if there is any way to use the dynamic attributes of my blocks when they are used as a point marker. I am setting up the styles for my company so we can start using Civil 3D this year, and my company is very particular about appearances. I have used our blocks for the point markers and some of our blocks have the dynamic ability to rotate. When I insert a point the block does not have this ability, and we rotate our blocks to be aligned with roads and other features. Currently the only way I am finding to rotate the block rotates the point text as well as we really only want the block to rotate. If anyone knows if there is a way to make the blocks rotate without the point text rotate or a way to activate the dynamic attributes of my blocks when used with points, please let me know. Any help in this matter would REALY be appreciated.

Thanks

Lis

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks and Point Markers

Dynamic blocks can not be used as markers in C3D. You can not select the dynamic parts of them once they are a marker. You may be able to set something up in the style to get them to rotate exactly how you want.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Dynamic Blocks and Point Markers

I was afraid that the dynamic aspects didn't work with the points. I have been playing with the options but haven't figured out how to rotate the point marker without rotating the text. Since points will need to be rotated on an individual basis, I will start looking more at the options for the points themselves. We may have to settle for having points rotated different directions based on the direction of the block.

Thanks

Lis

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

you can easily rotated all your point markers to the sheet, however it sounds like this is not what you want to do. you can also remove the points rotation angle from the text through the style and give it a rotation angle of it's own.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Dynamic Blocks and Point Markers

Everytime I change the marker rotation the text rotates as well. For example: say I have a road at bearing of North 45 degrees. So I want my block rotate to be aligned witht he road at 45 degrees. I haven't found a way to enter in 45 degrees and have only the block rotate. If I set the marker rotation angle in the point style to 45 degrees, my text rotates to 45 degrees. I need the marker to rotate 45 degrees and not the text, and I need to be able to have one point rotated to one angle and possible another point to another angle.

The problem I have is the company I work for has been around for almost 40 years, and they like their drawings to look a certain way, they way they have looked for all these years. I think I can get them to bend on some things, but I am not so sure on others. We may just have to place blocks manually at the points that need rotated special ways.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I believe I have your answer. I took a minute to look at it. Let's see if I can explain it. Please feel free to ask for clarification.

After the point is placed (picture 1) you can click on it's marker and use the green grip to rotate (see picture 2). The text would normally rotate with it. This is fixed in the label setting box. (picture 3) change "object" to either "view" or "world coordinate system" Also you can, on the layout page assign it an angle relative to your drawings 0. If for example you wanted all your text rotated 15 degrees off plan view. you'd set this box to "view" then under the layout tab set the rotation to 15.

These screen captures are from 2009. 2008 operates the same in this instance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Dynamic Blocks and Point Markers

That is it!!!
    That worked, I never thought to set the text to rotate based on the view and not the object. I had hoped to get the dynamic blocks to work, but this will work just fine. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Lis

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You're welcome. Glad I could help out. Best of luck with the styles.