Thread: Reducing Pipe Tee

Login to Give a bone

Default Reducing Pipe Tee

This is a new one. The center to face spacing is inconsistent with the outlet OD so each outlet size will have its own dimension along with the main body dimensions. I am familar with csv files. How do I get the Formulas to identify the nominal size then the outlet size?
    IE a 2" tee has four smaller outlet sizes. How to get the read to hit the nominal size then the smaller sizes? Does the csv file need a specific format? I have the column (Nominal Size) with every listing entered IE 2" four times. Column (Outlet Size) with each size ascending .75, 1 ,1.25, 1.5. Column (CenterSpacing) for each row has a different length 1.75",2",2.25",2.375". I haven't come across a how to for this one?

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reducing Pipe Tee

Quote Originally Posted by ltuss View Post
    IE a 2" tee has four smaller outlet sizes. How to get the read to hit the nominal size then the smaller sizes? Does the csv file need a specific format? I have the column (Nominal Size) with every listing entered IE 2" four times. Column (Outlet Size) with each size ascending .75, 1 ,1.25, 1.5. Column (CenterSpacing) for each row has a different length 1.75",2",2.25",2.375". I haven't come across a how to for this one?
    I think the attached file may help you understand what is needed to do what you want with both the family and the lookup table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

I guess a little more information is in order...

The formula referencing the lookup tablerequires the information in the following order

text_file_lookup(A,B,C,D,E,F...)

A - reference to lookup table
    B - Heading of column where value to be retrieved is located (within lookup table)
    C - Default value use if retrieved value is not found
    D - Parameter value to search for in lookup table - 2nd column (remember - first column isn't used by Revit)
    E - next Parameter value to search for in lookup table - 3rd column (this would be a secondary sorting criteria such as a branch size if main inlet and outlet are always the same)
    F - next Parameter value to search for in lookup table - 4th column (additional sorting criteria)
    ..... - other information to get to the row where the part specific information is located.

Note that "Parameter value" could mean a calculated value (formula) to determine the information to be used in the lookup. Best thing to do is open some OTB families and associated lookup tables and play with them.

Enjoy

Login to Give a bone

I brought the outlet size into the family so I could use it.
    The txt is the csv in a txt format. The csv would not load. The issues now are the outlet doesn't draw from. I can draw a disconnected pipe and use the MOVE command to place it. Some how I made a one way direction for the outlet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Stadtler View Post
    I think the attached file may help you understand what is needed to do what you want with both the family and the lookup table.

Thanks for posting this. I have one question:
    It seems that the first row of the table meets the criteria
    ND1 = 1.5" (table column C)
    ND2 = 1.25" (table column B)
    ND3 = 1.25" (table column D)

So why is the formula (1.2 * ND2) used instead of the value from the table SOD2 = 2.052" (table column H)?

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmb.100468 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I have one question:
    It seems that the first row of the table meets the criteria
    ND1 = 1.5" (table column C)
    ND2 = 1.25" (table column B)
    ND3 = 1.25" (table column D)

So why is the formula (1.2 * ND2) used instead of the value from the table SOD2 = 2.052" (table column H)?
    The family is one provided by Autodesk and if you follow the posted PDF, the formula is searching for a row with column B=1.5, column C=1.25, and column D=1.25.

Lookup table column B has a heading ND2 and the first formula parameter to check is Nominal Diameter 1 which equals 1.5 (3 rows in the lookup table meet this criteria). table column C has the heading ND1 and the second formula parameter to check is Nominal Diameter 2 which equals 1.25 (None of the 3 rows from the first check meet this criteria). Since the second criteria is not met, it is not necessary to check the third criteria against the lookup table heading ND3.

Since the formula couldn't find an acceptable value, it had to use a default value which couldn't be read from the SOD2 column in the lookup table - it wouldn't know which one to use!

Be careful....the parameters used in the formula are not the same as the headings of the lookup table. It is important to remember that the order in which the parameters are used in the formula correspond to the columns of the lookup table - not the headings.

Parameter Nominal Diameter 2 is not the same thing as Lookup table heading ND2 thus the formula result of (1.2*Nominal Diameter 2) may not equal to (1.2*ND2).