Thread: Creating emergency circuit

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating emergency circuit

We show a seperate circuit for emergency wiring on our drawings. In revit how would I do this? I have tried this but I'm not sure if it is correct.

1. I have a fixture with two ballasts. I have wired the lighting circuit to one ballast and I'm going to wire the emergency circuit to the second ballast.

My first question would be I can't seem to figure out which ballast I'm connecting to when I draw the wiring.

2. It seems that I can create another circuit and associate it with my emergency panel.

My next question is that when I hoover over a light fixture on this circuit and hit the tab button everything highlights as if it is recognizing it all as one circuit (Both lighting and emergency). I have checked my emergency panel and it doesn't seem to be picking up the load of the whole circuit, just the emergency lights. Is this the correct way to do this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating emergency circuit

Ok well I started writing this long description, but then it got kind of confusing so let me ask you a few questions first.

1 - Are you showing wiring on this drawing or just circuit callouts?
    2 - If you are showing wiring do you plan to carry both circuits, normal and emerg on the same drawn wire. Or do you plan to have 2 sets of wiring shown and emerg and a normal?

These questions will determine how you will have to create your family. If you need 1, 2 or even 3 families.

BTW - I have yet to do a project with lighting and circuiting because of some of these issues, but I have done a lot of trouble shooting in hopes to get the engineers to allow me to do it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for responding. It seems very hard for me to get any of my questions answered about Revit MEP. With Autocad I could get so much help on anything, this doesn't seem to be the same for Revit.

1. Yes we are showing wiring.

2. I will show two sets of wiring. 1 set for the lighting circuit and 1 set for the emerg circuit.

I added a second ballast to my light fixture which I'm wiring to as a seperate circuit. The load of the ballast seems to be too high, so I was wondering if I should just change the demand factor for the load?

Login to Give a bone

I assume you added a second connector? If you look at the element properties of the connector on the bottom make sure you fill in a connector description this will help in selecting the right connection. I recommend putting each connector on opposite ends of the fixture to also aid in grabbing the correct one.

I think the way to do this is to have 2 parameters one for normal load and one for emerg load. So each connector pulls in the appropiate load as well as transfers it to the correct panel. I do not believe you can pull the same load parameter into both connectors.

The power factor field represents a caluclation from VA to Watts I believe or something like that I remember reading it, but can't remember the whole definition off hand. However, I am pretty sure it is not what you are thinking it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Alright, I guess when I said I added a second ballast, I meant "connector". I will look into adding the parameter and see what I can do. It makes sense what you are saying, but I've not had much luck with parameters, I think there is something I'm missing about them.

Login to Give a bone

Do you wnat to help me out with the pararmerter. I've added a description for the connector but I can't figure out how to do the 2 parameters you talk about.

Login to Give a bone

I think I have most of this working, however when I try to create my seperate circuit (emergency) the tick marks that are already done for the (lighting circuit) go crazy. I'm getting homerun arrows at all of my junction boxes and the amount of tick marks that revit is displaying is not correct.

Login to Give a bone

Send me an e-mail. I created a capture for you to watch just to make sure you created the parameters and connectors correctly. Please send me a screen shot of your issues and I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

Login to Give a bone

email me at asc@ba-inc.com. I will be in meetings for the next hour so I might not get back to you today. Thanks for the help so far.