Thread: dwg file saved in 3rd party software imported to Revit 2009 Architecture

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default dwg file saved in 3rd party software imported to Revit 2009 Architecture

What's the most efficient way to import a 3rd party software created elements into Revit?

One thing I found out is that even if my consultants saved the file as .dwg format within their 3rd party software, when I import that .dwg file into Revit, it will show up in Revit. But when I try to do a section cut of it, none of the objects get cut.

What's the alternative method to get this done? Do they have to save as a special file format in order to make the object cutable in revit?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: dwg file saved in 3rd party software imported to Revit 2009 Architecture

out of the box, imported 3d objects are not cuttable in Revit, unlessthat object is imported into a cuttable family. if you go in the help file, you can see familes that are cuttable and not cuttable, and which ones have the option to be changed in the parameters of the family itself

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: dwg file saved in 3rd party software imported to Revit 2009 Architecture

What about the file is the entire layout of the mech ducts? After I import/link this .dwg file into Revit, it was a "System Family: imported symbl". Can I still make it cuttable?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by diesellam View Post
    What about the file is the entire layout of the mech ducts? After I import/link this .dwg file into Revit, it was a "System Family: imported symbl". Can I still make it cuttable?
    No, Because There has been no information given to Revit to explain what each object in the imported file is, or is made up of. Revit has no way of knowing what these items are, or of what family they should belong to. That is why it is ALL a special entity.

Login to Give a bone

So what's the best way to achieve this then?

Since there's no way the consultant will switch to Revit for the time being (at least I don't think he'll be convinced.)
    There's no way I'll convert his mech. duct layout into Revit since it's still at the DD phase and it's meaningless to convert unless his design is finalized.

Just for my understanding, there's absolutely no way you can make a section cut for any .dwg files created by 3rd party software. Is that true?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by diesellam View Post
    So what's the best way to achieve this then?

Since there's no way the consultant will switch to Revit for the time being (at least I don't think he'll be convinced.)
    There's no way I'll convert his mech. duct layout into Revit since it's still at the DD phase and it's meaningless to convert unless his design is finalized.

Just for my understanding, there's absolutely no way you can make a section cut for any .dwg files created by 3rd party software. Is that true?
    Not to my knowledge. Autodesk seams to look at this as a slightly lower level priority, since Navisworks is designed for this type of situation. If the ductwork is from AutoCAD MEP, then it might behave slightly differently. If it is from Bently, Try linking in the DGN files directly. Other than that good luck, especially since some third party applications can tend to make Revit unstable when DWG's from them are linked in.