Thread: Kitchen Countertop Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Kitchen Countertop Family

I am working on our first Revit project and have a question. I figured out how to take a countertop family I found online and convert it to a curved front unit with no backsplash on either side. My question is two fold:
    1. What do I need to do the extrusion to make the wall under my countertop visible in plan? Now it's reading as a solid and when I place my low-height wall under it, I can't see the walls. The countertops from Revit show the cabinetry under them as dashed. I assume this is some type of visiblity setting in the extrusion portion of the Counter Family?

2. Is there a way to create a counter top that has multiple options; straight run with rear backsplash only, corner with backsplash at both backs, end splashes. From what I have found so far, it's a separate family for each type. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Kitchen Countertop Family

1. The problem you're having is that your geometry is turned on in plan. In your family select your extrusion and toggle the plan visibility off. Then you'll constrain some symbolic lines to the geometry edges in plan so that you can still see where it is.

2. Here you can add an overall visibility parameter to the separate extrusions, or nested families depending on your approach.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jamesanderson View Post
    I am working on our first Revit project and have a question. I figured out how to take a countertop family I found online and convert it to a curved front unit with no backsplash on either side. My question is two fold:
    1. What do I need to do the extrusion to make the wall under my countertop visible in plan? Now it's reading as a solid and when I place my low-height wall under it, I can't see the walls. The countertops from Revit show the cabinetry under them as dashed. I assume this is some type of visiblity setting in the extrusion portion of the Counter Family?

2. Is there a way to create a counter top that has multiple options; straight run with rear backsplash only, corner with backsplash at both backs, end splashes. From what I have found so far, it's a separate family for each type. Thanks.

1. It's a real wall "wall " under the counter? Just use the Show hidden line tool in Revit. Simple and fast.

2. You sure can. However it is more management at the family level. I've found Revit to be more flexible when you just have more but simpler families.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Why have a family for countertop? Just create an in-place family for the countertop as a simple extrusion in plan and a sweep as the backsplash within the same family. This allows you to have the countertop and backsplash in any shape and made out of different materials. You can even sweep a profile on the counter edge. That's what I do (and I do a lot of countertop). It's simple and customizable for any situation.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mlgatzke View Post
    Why have a family for countertop?
    Because when you have 285 dorm rooms with 140 bathrooms - it is much faster to change them all using a family type than changing 100 different in-place families.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

True, sorry, I'm not used to thinking in such quantity. My apologies.