I have a project with existing and new work in it, the existing joists will not export to 3d .dwg, all other elements do. Joists set to new consturction phase export just fine.

I have a work around to create a new phase filter that does not override the existing elements and use that while exporting the 3d view to ACAD.

However, I noticed that all joists families material is set to <by category> and if i change this to be an actual material then the joist will export to ACAD even if the phase filter is on "show all" with existing elements overridden.

Would it be smarter for me to set the material in all the joist familes than do the phase filter work around? Why isnt the material set in the joist families to begin with?

If so, what is the easiest way to go about doing this? when i go to edit the family inside my project there is already a few types loaded and i have to change it for each type, and when i load a new type it keeps defaulting to <by category> instead of the material type i set the other ones too.

Any help is appericated, Thanks.