Thread: Central Detail Library / save view options

Login to Give a bone

Default Central Detail Library / save view options

I hope the time is near when we can create a usable typical revit detail library.
    I hope the time is near when we can save views and revit just DO save all content, including changing all model components, legends, title blocks, etc. into drafting views. Why the restriction that only drafting views can be saved? Why should we export to acad and then reimport and go through the hell of fixing dim and text and linework etc. to be able to have a typical detail? we spent days trying to figure out why sheets are not saved as views, only to find out that we need to delete the legend from the sheet.
    We are working on 5 schools project, where we have the same book of detail. If we change one detail in one project, we need to change the same detail in all projects.When we insert the modified views, all sheets and details become duplicated, and we need to manually delete old sheets and details and rename all new sheets and detail views. and then go all over again creating reference callouts....Why can't we have a sort of central detail library, then we just import/load and reload detail/sheets, as in acad imports? Even more, why can't callout tags be hyperlinks to refer to details in other projects (or even web sites)? from the things that revit does, this seems like peanuts.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Central Detail Library / save view options

Quote Originally Posted by kidess.68812 View Post
    Why can't we have a sort of central detail library, then we just import/load and reload detail/sheets, as in acad imports? Even more, why can't callout tags be hyperlinks to refer to details in other projects (or even web sites)? from the things that revit does, this seems like peanuts.
    If the Details are groups, this can be done. Search other threads.

Section views can be used, if you link the model into your model. Create a view where all of the models elements you are working in are turned off., and only the Linked in building is visible, via custom view settings for the link. Now create a new section or detail view, and set it to display the corresponding view in the linked model (by view name), and you've used the SAME detail from one model in another. If the link is done on its own workset that you've checked out when you link it in, now you can use view templated to turn the linked model off in all other views.

Callouts being Hyperlinks to other projects - Requires the different Revit files to be reading (Loading) the other revit files to ty to a specific view. You'd also have to have every project on one server system permanently., or the link would break if a files location was changed.
    Stop and thing about what you are asking for. Stop thinking in terms of CAD and think outside the box. Some of what you are complaining about can be done now, with what is built into Revit in this version.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. But I tried and it doesn't seem to work. When I do a callout or a section and click reference other views, no views from the linked file are showing. am I doing something wrong??
    Still I don't think that adding a typical roof detail or window sill or the endless number of typical details should be that hard. Why not have a simpler way of loading details, and refining these details and reloading again with all related title block and sheet name and number.
    Is it just me?? all are happy with the way detail views are handeled????
    Last edited by amara; 2009-01-29 at 08:12 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kidess.68812 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But I tried and it doesn't seem to work. When I do a callout or a section and click reference other views, no views from the linked file are showing. am I doing something wrong??
    You did not actually follow all of the steps in my earlier post. You cannot and probably will not be able to simply reference and use a view from a linked file anytime soon. Read my earlier post.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    You cannot and probably will not be able to simply reference and use a view from a linked file anytime soon. Read my earlier post.
    That's what I mean. But I am not happy about it. Since we can reference acad drawings- which are in essence drafting views, and we are able to load and reload, why not do the same with revit drafting views. I suppose this will highly benefit the workflow in relation to the way detailing is done in revit. I hope somebody in the factory is listening...