Thread: Pipe hangers? Anyone?? Hello??

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Pipe hangers? Anyone?? Hello??

OK, I'm working for a mechanical contractor on a jobsite and they'd like to be able to shop pipe hangers in 3D so they can show conflicts in Navis Works once the drawing is all done.

Is anyone using pipe hangers? I know you have to load up the UK Profile to have the option of making hangars (making being the key word there) off the tool palettes. I've found the Jay Ayala video on Youtube and sent him a message asking about it but, I can't even get the little blocks to show up when I use the command.

If you ARE using pipe hangers, were you able to bring in actual manufacturers hangers like clevis, loop or trapeze hangers or did you just have to manufacture something like a rod and angle iron hanger?

Ideas??

I've searched the whole forum for hangers and nothing has ever been mentioned.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe hangers? Anyone?? Hello??

Hi Paul,

I started trying to create hangers using AMEP hangers but like you found it to be a bit cumbersome. One tip I can give you when creating from AMEP help;

1. For Channel Style, select the structural member style to represent the channel.
      IMPORTANT:You can select from the structural member styles in the current drawing that include both of the following words in their names or descriptions: hanger and channel.
    2. For Rod Style, select the structural member style to represent the rod. IMPORTANT:You can select from the structural member styles in the current drawing that include both of the following words in their names or descriptions: hanger and rod.
    Since we're an electrical contractor and our designers are familiar with electrical devices we ended up creating a library of hangers as electrical devices. You could do the same thing with MvParts but I found electrical devices worked better for us.

Hope this helps,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst View Post
    Hi Paul,

I started trying to create hangers using AMEP hangers but like you found it to be a bit cumbersome. One tip I can give you when creating from AMEP help;

1. For Channel Style, select the structural member style to represent the channel.
      IMPORTANT:You can select from the structural member styles in the current drawing that include both of the following words in their names or descriptions: hanger and channel.
    2. For Rod Style, select the structural member style to represent the rod. IMPORTANT:You can select from the structural member styles in the current drawing that include both of the following words in their names or descriptions: hanger and rod.
    Since we're an electrical contractor and our designers are familiar with electrical devices we ended up creating a library of hangers as electrical devices. You could do the same thing with MvParts but I found electrical devices worked better for us.

Hope this helps,
    Thanks for the reply Scott. I found a youtube video from Jay Ayala (Autodesk MEP Guru) that explained just what you're talking about. One thing he didn't include in his video was switching the profile to the UK Profile because the Imperial versions don't have pipe hangers in them. That's my next step is to take the pipe hangers from the UK Profile and move or copy them to the Imperial Profile so I don't have to switch back and forth.

Jay called me after I emailed him about this yesterday and because of his youtube video, he said Autodesk has been getting a slew of calls about hangers and they're working on improving them hopefully in the next couple of releases.

Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe we can get clevis and a loop type as well. The trapeze with the steel pipe and c channel is a little bit overdone. My guys here would love to see uni-strut used instead of c channel. Might have to look a little deeper into that as well.

Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

OK, palettes switched, no more visiting the UK to get my pipe hangers. (Jet lag was a KILLER)..

Login to Give a bone

Ive been able to make trapeze style hangers, but we're not drawing our pipe in MEP. We're using CAD Mech for pipe and it seems like they only work on MEP objects. Also, I need J-Hangers and Clevis hangers. I've created MV Parts for hangers, but the connectors offered when I make the pipe don't have allthread as an option. Is there a way to add connector types to the dialog box as optional connectors?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

how did you copy the uk profile to the imperial one, for hangers.step by step please

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst View Post
    Hi Paul,

Hope this helps,
    how do i get the hanger "trapeze" to work with a single rod and a clevis. i can make and have made a rod from a structural member and can attach the clevis as a modifier but it does not move as desired. Has someone (anyone) found a better way or a way to easily make clevis hangers happen?

Login to Give a bone

EastCoast Software has a fantastic Clevis Pipe hanger routine built into their program. You can even spec out if it has a shield, Seismic data, the whole nine yards....
    My dream is to find a suitable way of representing Strap hangers fro Duct work...
    Anybody have any suggestions?