Thread: Family Type Parameter - Sloping Column - Sweep Profile

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Family Type Parameter - Sloping Column - Sweep Profile

Hi everyone.

We have all used sloping columns from time to time, most likely an in-place family, or a beam alligned to a reference plane.

I am trying to create a sloping column family with the various column sizes "built in"

I started out by using the Structural column template, then used a solid sweep locked to a reference line. I loaded in a U.B profile for the sweep. That was the easy part.

After reading "Mastering Revit Structure" it appears a user can add a "Family Type Parameter" to the family that is set to "grab from the profiles category" to enable a user to switch the profile whilst in the project environment. However, the book doesn't go into this detail.

I have loaded the profiles into the family, and can create a "profile family type parameter," the problem is linking the two together.... I can change the column profile within the family editor but not within the project environment.

Can anybody help??

I know the Authors of the book Mastering Revit Structure are active users of the AUGI forums - Thomas S. Weir, Jamie D. Richardson, Eric Wing and David J. Harrington so maybe one of you guys could help??

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family Type Parameter - Sloping Column - Sweep Profile

Glenn,

The new version will have slanted columns. You can check it out here. JP sends his regards from sunny Leeds

Balazs

Login to Give a bone

Who would of thought. Of all the people in the world to reply to my post, my old mate JP replies from back in Leeds.....

If they have sloping columns in the new version then happy days, providing you can select the column size from the catalogue file.

Login to Give a bone

The type catalog just needs to have the exact same name as the Family it is referencing to

You also need to be very particular with the spelling and CAPS within the type catalog, so if you have just copied and already existing catalog you can just save as the new family name in the same directory and it will pick up the type catalog for you

Hope that helps

Login to Give a bone

It isn't a type catelogue issue, there is an alternative way to do it, and that is what I am trying to find out.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

It doesn't seem possible to link a sweeps profile to a parameter. You can link the offset, angle and whether it's flipped and others, but not the profile itself. Normally you would select the sweep in the family, go to its Element Properties and select the grey box on the right of the parameter you wished to link to your created one. There's no box next to Profile.

The out-of-the-box steel beams have two profiles loaded in and switched by visibility states (for medium and fine details levels). If it was possible to change profiles of a sweep using a parameter, you'd think they'd have used that instead of loading/constraining two separate sweeps (and then the 3D view saved with the beam wouldn't look arse because it had two similar sweeps in the same spot).