Thread: Preserving the as-built model

All AUGI, all the time davidcobi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Preserving the as-built model

For those of you who do remodels in Revit. You go through the trouble of modelling the as-built condition... then you move onto remodelling the design, but you want to preserve the existing phase so no one accidently reshapes an existing wall. It would be nice to lock a phase so that the only thing a user can do to the as-built model is demo parts of it in a new phase... or am I the only one who thinks preserving the as-built with some kind of locking feature is a desired behavior?

I know I can group and pin the as-built model, but it would be so much nicer to not have to deal with modifying groups everytime I want to adjust the as-built.

The only option right now is to train everyone how to remodel a revit project without damaging the as-built model. Adding a locking feature would help to fool-proof the process.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Preserving the as-built model

I agree it would be awesome. Not just for existing, but for phasing too. if we "finish" Phase 1, and start working on phase 2, its tough (im not sure why) for the team to always remember that they have to use DEMO instead of editing, or deleting. id like to be able to say "Phase 1 is done" and then have it not let them drag wall ends, etc.

Current methods of protecting it:

1. Save a copy in the archive (lol)
    2. Model the entire existing on one workset, and check it out. (this is terrible though,. lousy way to break up worksets, and causes tons of issues)
    3. Do it as a linked model (defeats the purpose)
    4. Pinning... which half works. "Pinned element was deleted..." wait, WHY can i delete something pinned?? lol...