See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Can't snap to line or polylines in a block of xref

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't snap to line or polylines in a block of xref

I am using 2008 and I have a drawing file in which the title block/border in a wblock. I can snap (or use osnap) to get the insert point of the whole block, the individual inserts for the text in the block but I can not snap to an endpoint or midpoint etc. Has anyone run into this? Other files seems to work just fine. Is there a setting for this or a variable? HELP!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't snap to line or polylines in a block of xref

Quote Originally Posted by charlielgolden View Post
    I am using 2008 and I have a drawing file in which the title block/border in a wblock. I can snap (or use osnap) to get the insert point of the whole block, the individual inserts for the text in the block but I can not snap to an endpoint or midpoint etc. Has anyone run into this? Other files seems to work just fine. Is there a setting for this or a variable? HELP!!
    There's a few things that come to mind.
    1. Set WHIPARC to 0, regen, then see if you can snap to the block. I've heard this works sometimes.

2. Where the blocks created in an older version of ACAD? If so, they were probably created using the older style of polyline. You will need to explode the blocks and recreate it again in 2008, which uses the new lightweight plines. I've heard 20087 doesn't like the old style and won't snap to them.

Just some things to try. Let us know if one of them works.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Can't snap to line or polylines in a block of xref

I was having this problem as well, tried everything I could think of...
    I read the post about having to re-make the blocks and so I did, it seemed to work, but I was pretty bummed about that prospect, so I tried some other things...

FINALLY...
    I went to Options --> AEC Editor (tab) --> Under the "Optimize for Speed" sub-heading, make sure Object Snap is NOT checked.

Seems that its "Optimizing" actually just shuts off some of the snaps so it doesnt have to deal with as many....not much of an optimization to me.

Hope this helps!

Jon

BTW this is for Architecure 09, so I hope things are the same in your 08...cheers.

Login to Give a bone

I'm working on a dinosaur (2005) but sometimes when this happens it's because one of the elements in the block somehow got a Z value and therefore it is not in the same plane as where you are trying to draw. If you do not work with 3D or Z coordinates, try "FLATTEN" to reset all your Z's to 0, then try snapping to it.

Hope this helps.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I dont recommend using flatten on blocks, as it will change the name of the block making it impossible in the future to quick select all the blocks of the same name, because they will all have unique names.