Thread: Shadows in Elevations or Sections

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Question Shadows in Elevations or Sections

Hi All,

As part of a town planning application I am currently involved in, I have been requested to provide elevations of the adjacent dwelling showing the impact of the shadowing from the new proposal.

Piece of cake (or so I thought). No matter which way I attempt to create them, once I position the viewing point out side of the subject building, all the shadows disappear as well. If I position the viewing point inside the subject building and the hide elements and or make the elements transparent, the shadows also disappears with them.

Is there a simple button or something that I have missed ..."show all shadows??" that I can set for the elevation or section? Or is there a work around which will allow me to show the shadow impact on the adjacent wall other than a filled region?

Cheers,

Ian

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Shadows in Elevations or Sections

Does anyone have a reply to this? I'm in the same situation myself. Doing a Sun Study on a building but need to show elevations with shadows cast on it from neighbouring buildings.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shadows in Elevations or Sections

Hi Merlin,

To the best of my knowledge, this is still not possible to do. I have a clumsy workaround involving sections, transparent filled regions and judiciously hiding elements, but it is totally 2d drawing and not parametric.

Still on the wish list!

Ian

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Does anyone have a reply to this? I'm in the same situation myself. Doing a Sun Study on a building but need to show elevations with shadows cast on it from neighbouring buildings.
    Does it absolutely have to be an elevation? Two Axons, from the Northwest and Northeast, would maybe show everything necessary, and show shadow patterns on the ground as well.

I find missing tools like this, and floor plans with realistic shadows, not shadows as if the top of the building is missing, to be very frustrating. But jurisdictions that dictate how you communicate, rather than what, are also frustrating.

Gordon

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post
    Does it absolutely have to be an elevation? Two Axons, from the Northwest and Northeast, would maybe show everything necessary, and show shadow patterns on the ground as well.

I find missing tools like this, and floor plans with realistic shadows, not shadows as if the top of the building is missing, to be very frustrating. But jurisdictions that dictate how you communicate, rather than what, are also frustrating.

Gordon
    Hi Gordon,

I have tried Axons and for me, they were not successful.

As I am based in Inner Melbourne, the vast majority of my work is dealing with very old dwellings set on very small allotments and set very close to each other.

I found that the axon works fine if you have a bit of distance between the buildings and can get back a bit to correct the parallax problem, but when you are on tight sites, my attempts always ended up looking weird and thus not really helping in showing council and the neighbours the impact on windows.

I probably should go back and have another go at it and maybe adjust the focal length of the camera to see if will correct the visual distortion.

Please, please, don't get me started on dealing with Council's, in my part of the world, and I suspect elsewhere as well, they are useless, infuriating, capricious and demanding all at the same time!!

Cheers,

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post

Gordon
    Hi Gordon,

I would do this normally, but the point I'm trying to show the client is the shadowing effects the neighbouring building has. Unfortunately it's pretty close and my building is a long commercial building. Axonometrics and perspectives show it of course but the shadows on that surface are waaaaaaay down the back - not a clear view on the extents.

John Mc

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Shadows in Elevations or Sections

Quote Originally Posted by iankids View Post
    Hi Gordon,

Please, please, don't get me started on dealing with Council's, in my part of the world, and I suspect elsewhere as well, they are useless, infuriating, capricious and demanding all at the same time!!
    ...you left out "annoying"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Can you use an Axon view, and then use the Section Box to basically hide anything that is in the way?