Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing Word text files

Login to Give a bone

Default Importing Word text files

I am trying to see how people import Word files (our General Structural Notes in this case) into Revit. I have seen a few threads on this subject but can't seem to find the right answer.
    In AutoCAD, we would copy-paste Word files (not OLE, just copy-paste) into our drawings using MTEXT. We would then set up columns of text on the sheet to get it to look right. This procedure would keep the text formatting intact.

I have downloaded the latest Revit extensions which include the Text Generator which lets you import Word files into Revit into a Drafting View. This works but the text loses all indents and paragraph formatting. It also comes in one single long vertical column of text instead of 4 or 5 columns needed to fit on the sheet correctly.

Has anyone figured out the best way to achieve this in Revit?

Thanks for any help!

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Importing Word text files

Anyone want to comment on this?
    Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing Word text files

There is not a "good" answer to this question. There are quite a few different approaches to get your text inside Revit, each has its own limitations.
    1. Print to image from word, insert image in Revit
    2. Use the external tool to import the word file.
    3. Paste to AutoCad and link the AutoCad file.
    4. Manually copy/paste into Revit.

The process you choose depends on the desired outcome.
    Personally I paste directly into text boxes within Revit and manually correct the formatting. While its time consuming up front, as long as you adhere to the zoom factor limitation it is the most efficient way to maintain editable text. This didn't use to be as much work but then AutoDesk broke the "home" key within RS2009. (shift+"home" still works )

The other methods above typically result in a multiple step process to update the text.

The final answer to all these woes is for AutoDesk to listen to its customers and fix the @#$% text editor already...

If anyone else cares to comment it would be nice if we could keep a running list of the methods and their limitations.
    Last edited by Jshaver; 2009-02-16 at 06:08 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I would agree with the previous post, our best option at the moment is to just copy paste into Revit Text, I would then save to a library for use on the next project.

But if you really are just using specifications from word that are constantly evolving I would probably look at the image option to alleviate the need to format in Revit for every project.

Still hoping I get a nice surprise with RST 2010 and a workable text editor

Português - Revit Moderator fernando's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

"This works but the text loses all indents and paragraph formatting. It also comes in one single long vertical column of text instead of 4 or 5 columns needed to fit on the sheet correctly."
    you could correct all that when using the text generation tool of extensions4revit, I import lot of text with that.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Another way that i just used was to use schedules. I used nurse call stations (in general just use any type of schedule you won't use.) click the radio button for schedule keys. My notes have just two fields, one for the number and one for the note. I start out typing the text in Word then have to cut and paste each line of text in word to the line in your schedule. But the good part of this is schedules can be manipulated to fit on your sheets.
    YES AUTODESK NEEDS TO GIVE US A GOOD ____ TEXT EDITOR!!!. But till then i set up one for General Notes, Wood, Masonry, Concrete, etc. This way when i work on a small project i can have just the notes i want on the sheet.
    Search the forums here or at RevitCity. This topic has been covered many times.
    The current revitcity poll is whether we're excited about the new Ribbon. I'd be more excited about a good text editor.
    HTH
    John

Login to Give a bone

Save the Word document as a .txt file and then copy and past the .txt file into the Revit text box.

Login to Give a bone

You lose all formatting using this method.

Login to Give a bone

How do you paste the text into the schedule? I've tried everything and I can't figure out how to paste text from Word into the schedule. I can't get any options to paste or anything. Please help.

Thanks,
    Kaysie

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Either you move on with the fact that the text editor is not great in Revit or you look for workaround. My 2cents... move on
    But if you need a work around, copy/paste the text from Word to AutoCAD(it will keep the formatting) then link the DWG in Revit. That way you keep the formatting and also the ability to modify it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast