Thread: Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

Wish List Administration

Default Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

Summary: Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

Description: Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

How Used: Some members of a project team on large projects need the ability to view a live project in Revit without the ability to change it. Project Managers would like to be able to view the live project without printing it. Sometimes users would like to open an old project or other projects, to see how things were drawn/setup, without the risk of changing anything.

This can almost be done with the "detach from central" option, but this has some limitations:
    - A detached copy cannot Reload latest, as changes happen throughout the day.
    - Links don�t always load correctly in a detached copy.

In a read only open, users should be able to do everything except save.
    - If they manipulate objects, the objects should not get borrowed in the Central file.
    - The option to Reload Latest should still be available, to get updates as the project changes throughout the day.
    - They should be able to "partial load" and Open and Close worksets.
    - Printing should be available.

Feature Affinity: Worksharing (Worksets)

Submitted By: Bret Thompson on September 10, 2008

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Default Re: Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

I agree. Why isn't this available? I keep having people open the revit file, and then not know to relinquish without saving to central.

All AUGI, all the time

Default Re: Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

So your really asking for the Detach from central option to be fixed in regards to maintaining linked files?

What about opening Revit in Demo mode?

I think these are both valid ways of doing this rather then wasting development time on features which already exist.

Just tell users to change the licence conditions.

I could stop if I wanted to brethomp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m20roxxers View Post
    So your really asking for the Detach from central option to be fixed in regards to maintaining linked files?

What about opening Revit in Demo mode?

I think these are both valid ways of doing this rather then wasting development time on features which already exist.

Just tell users to change the licence conditions.
    Both of the options that you point out will disable the ability to Reload Latest. In most cases this would be used by project managers that want to look at and print sheets as they change, but don't feel confident enough with Revit to not make accidental changes. They want the extra securtity that there is no way they can mess up the file, but still have access to the drawings that they need on a fast paced large project, without having to ask someone to print sheets for them.

Sorry if you don't agree with my wish, but that is why we all vote on these.

100 Club

Actually, please don't be short sighted and only provide this for worksharing.

The ability to open any file, templates, families, normal project files, etc. in a read-only mode would be great. Just add a little check box to all File Open dialogs. Can't be that hard.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Open Read-Only: The ability to open a worksharing enabled file in a read only mode.

This wish has been reported as granted and already in the software.