See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Errors for Linked Arch Model

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Need Help with Errors for Linked Arch Model

We have issued a project in Revit and everything was fine. We got an RFI and got a new arch model. I have done the same techniques as before when updating the link. When I go to open my central file to make sure everything is okay, I get the attached list of errors. One of the huge things is that the lights go flying to different areas but they take the wires with them so part of the file looks like a spider web. We contacted the architect and got a new model but it is still doing it. I have reverted everything back to before the update and its all fine again, I just can't seem to bring in the new updated model. Has anyone ever seen this before and is there a fix for it. We just don't know if it is on our side or the arch's side. Thanks a bunch!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need Help with Errors for Linked Arch Model

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Shields View Post
    We have issued a project in Revit and everything was fine. We got an RFI and got a new arch model. I have done the same techniques as before when updating the link. When I go to open my central file to make sure everything is okay, I get the attached list of errors. One of the huge things is that the lights go flying to different areas but they take the wires with them so part of the file looks like a spider web. We contacted the architect and got a new model but it is still doing it. I have reverted everything back to before the update and its all fine again, I just can't seem to bring in the new updated model. Has anyone ever seen this before and is there a fix for it. We just don't know if it is on our side or the arch's side. Thanks a bunch!
    If the problem manifests itself with a new architectural model, it appears that changes made in the model are the issue - or the changes made in your file since the last model was received.

Were the problems with the work of your office new - did you have any of the same problems with content prior to the last model?

What are the skill levels of the design team involved? Are you or the architect using people on the project who by lack of experience or by bad Revit habits inadvertently creating the problems? (ask if they have different people on the project than those who worked on the last model)

Were levels adjusted? rooms reworked? walls/ceilings moved? walls/ceiling types changed? what type of hosting are you using with families?

Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like someone moved a level.

Login to Give a bone

In addition to the other responses, it could be that items that you have hosted to in the Arch model were deleted and replaced (instead of moving and/or redefining).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Stadtler View Post
    If the problem manifests itself with a new architectural model, it appears that changes made in the model are the issue - or the changes made in your file since the last model was received.

Were the problems with the work of your office new - did you have any of the same problems with content prior to the last model?

What are the skill levels of the design team involved? Are you or the architect using people on the project who by lack of experience or by bad Revit habits inadvertently creating the problems? (ask if they have different people on the project than those who worked on the last model)

Were levels adjusted? rooms reworked? walls/ceilings moved? walls/ceiling types changed? what type of hosting are you using with families?

Hope you can get to the bottom of it.
    Before this last update everything in our model worked fine, it was sent out signed and sealed. Its just been after they sent us a new model.

As for skill levels, they have been doing Revit Models for awhile, but this was the first model they sent out for engineering work. We have found alot of stuff that worked for them doesn't work for us, so there has been alot of back and forth fixing.

As for skill level there are two of us as my company working on it but we are still pretty green. We went to AU this year to learn stuff, but we had been working in the project before we went. We really haven't had a chance to incorporate what we learned, but we also weren't doing this that far from what we learned.

As for rework, I heard they moved some rooms around (After the was signed and sealed). Our families were created with face based hosting and just general model. So I would think if the level or wall moved, that our stuff would move with it.

Do yall think this will be something that we just need to accept and start moving our stuff back to where it should be or should we have the arch make the changes? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

If they "moved rooms around" by deleting and then replacing walls and ceilings (instead of moving them) then all of the items that you had hosted to those walls and ceilings would now be orphaned.

The question as to whether or not you should just accept it and move on is up to your firm and your relationship with the architect.

You could also ask yourself the question of "how much time is it actually going to take me to rehost these items and is it worth the hassle (and time) of having the architect go back to an older version and redo their changes?".

At the very least, they should be made aware of the problems that you have run into.

Login to Give a bone

We called the architect and sure enough it was them deleting walls and replacing them. We made them aware that that is a bad habit and they thanked us for letting them know.

So it looks like we have alot of work to do with rehosting.

I kinda understand most of the errors from the report attached. But the ones that say Highlighted Geometry no longer determines a plane. What exactly is that meaning?

Its amazing what stuff if you don't know, can cause such a domino effect!

Thanks so much for the help with this!!! I've been adding reputation points to all your responses!

Login to Give a bone

From the AutoDesk website regarding informational messages...

http://revit.autodesk.com/pillar/cus...r_Messages.htm

Informational Message: Highlighted geometry no longer determines a plane.

Problem: This error can occur if the sketching plane cannot be determined.

Solution: If you picked some geometry that disappeared (because of a later change) as the sketching plane, this error appears.

Hope this helps.

Brett

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Heres whats going on with your lights:

'snip'

Well you all have not come across the fact that there is a problem with "some" ceilings and face-hosted fixtures in that when arch has to make a change to a ceiling your fixtures will get zinged all over the place!

SR# 1-4135871951 - Light fixtures are moving

This is an update to your Support Request. Our development team has reproduced your reported issue. Your Support Request is now with a review board to determine next steps. Taking into account the severity and associated risks identified in your Support Request, the issue may be remedied; if so, a tentative date will be set for the remedy.

The development team will notify us of the review board's decision and we will notify you immediately by email whenever your Support Request is updated. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve your Support Request.

Please note: Not all issues identified in Support Requests are considered significant enough to address in their entirety; a proposed correction may create significant stability risks; some issues may be impossible to fix due to product architectural restraints. Whenever possible, we will work with you to establish an acceptable workaround.

For now, until I receive more information, the best workaround I can provide is to rehost the light fixtures after they've moved

Choose your poison. We have gone back to using non-hosted fixtures until this gets fixed.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

looks like this issue of lose association is still there for 2012 & 2013, any fix or workaround?
    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...-orphaned.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast