See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate Sheets - the easy way!

Login to Give a bone

Default Duplicate Sheets - the easy way!

Prelude:
    I have a custom Browser Organization Type for my sheets that allows me to categorize and order my sheets when they don't fall into an alphabetical order. However, when trying to create new sheets, I constantly have to assign the categories to the sheets so they show up in the desired location in the Browser. Needless to say, this takes time.

I recently discovered a few little tricks in Revit to make this process of copying/creating sheets easier. First of all, I have learned that you can copy a sheet as long as there are no Views (or non copyable content) on the sheet. I do this by right-clicking my sheet in the Project Browser and choosing "Copy to Clipboard". Then I go to the Edit menu and choose "Paste from Clipboard". This method of creating a new sheet keeps all the custom Categories that I have assigned to the sheet and the only information I have to update is the sheet number. However, this does not work on sheets with non copyable items. This leads me to the reason I am writing this tip.

Tip:
    When I want to copy a sheet that contains non-copyable items on it:
    1. Select everything on the sheet except for the titleblock
    2. Hit Delete on the keyboard (don't freak out, we will undo this later)
    3. Right-Click on the sheet name in the Project Browser and choose "Copy to Clipboard"
    4. Go to the Edit menu and choose "Undo Delete" (notice it does not undo the Copy)
    5. Go to the Edit menu and choose "Paste from Clipboard"

Now I have a copy of my sheet with all the custom Categories assigned. All that I need to do is change the sheet number.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duplicate Sheets - the easy way!

Couldn't you just keep an empty sheet in each category, so you would copy from that instead of selecting one that you are actually using and having to delete its contents? I mention that because it happens very often to me that the Undo option gets inactive (grayed out) just after I do something (usually on large projects with big files). That said, I can't undo what I just did...

Andre Carvalho

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wouldn't it be easier to Create a blank project with the sheets set up in each catagory, or even several sheets in each catagory, then you could simply insert from File, and select the sheets, or number of sheets you need and add them into the project?

Login to Give a bone

Good point, unfortunately most of our projects are not the same. Sometimes we have no idea what the sheet organization will look like until we are ready for the construction documents.

But, you are right. It is better to have a template that is standardized for a certain type of project with all the sheets pre-existing.

However, if you're stuck in a situation where that is not the case, it is nice to be able to copy sheets in this manner.

I have not run into problems with the undo button graying out while doing this. I know what you mean though. I guess it would be good to save frequently.

Thanks for the feedback!

Login to Give a bone

I actually quite like this tip. Yes, yes it's better to get well organised and so on, but every now and then, you just need to grab that existing populated sheet with notes and symbols on it and copy it easily. Thank You.

Balazs

Login to Give a bone

when i try right clicking in my Project Browser, the Copy to Clipboard is greyed out. am i missing something?

Login to Give a bone

There could be two reasons.
    1. Make sure that there are no views on the sheet before doing this. Views cannot exist on more than one sheet in Revit and it will not allow you to copy it. That is why you have to do the delete views, copy to clipboard, undo deletion of views and then paste (ctrl+v).
    2. Make sure that you have first selected the sheet you wish to copy from the project browser and then right-click it.

Login to Give a bone

You probably still have a view in the sheet somewhere?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If there are views on the sheet the option seems to be unavailable. Is there a way to copy the sheet without the views?

Login to Give a bone

Just a note that this DOES work for sheets with drafting views or schedules, but not with any model views or legends (which seems odd since Legends can exist on multiple sheets). A Copy/Paste command will create the new sheet and also create duplicates of any drafting views on the sheet. Works in both 2016 and 2017.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast