See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Job Description

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Job Description

I am writing a job description for both BIM and CAD management. Would anyone be wiling to share a copy of theirs that I can use as a starting point? (attach or email through my profile) Thanks.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Job Description

The candidate for CAD and BIM Manager shall experience and take on responsibilities
    including the list below:
    Experience:
    •10+ years of drafting experience with AutoCAD up through AutoCAD MEP 2008.
    •5+ years of experience as a CAD Manager
    •Familiarity with mechanical systems is required (HVAC ductwork and piping,
    Plumbing, Process Piping)
    •Experience with mechanical 3D software from drafting to fabrication is required.
    Applicable software packages include M.A.P. software (CAD-DUCT, CADMECH,
    CAD-MEP) or East Coast CAD
    Duties:
    •Manage support for approx 170 cad users in 5 offices from 2d drafters,
    engineers, to union detailers and foreman.
    •Oversee maintenance/upgrading of internal cad menu's and content for 2d and
    3d cad software applications
    •Evaluate and recommend new software related hardware specifications
    •Oversee software procurement
    •Evaluation and recommendation of software and hardware configurations
    •Oversee detailed review of coordination documents by engineers/detailers/cad
    designers/coordinators prior to dwg issue
    •Liase directly with project teams and clients
    •Attend client interviews
    •Maintain relationships with key clients regarding 3d coordination
    •Oversee administration of 3d coordination process using navisworks
    •Train project teams in the 3d navisworks coordination process
    •Advise project managers/engineering dept/construction dept with regard to
    3d/bim best practices, 'value-for-money' considerations balanced with current
    manpower capabilities
    •Promote increased integration between engineering and construction
    departments
    Software Knowledge:
    •Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
    •AutoCAD, up to 2008
    •AutoCAD MEP (recommended but not required)
    •M.A.P. software or East Coast CAD (3D mechanical design and fabrication
    software)

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Job Description

Quote Originally Posted by bryan.thatcher View Post
    I am writing a job description for both BIM and CAD management. Would anyone be wiling to share a copy of theirs that I can use as a starting point? (attach or email through my profile) Thanks.
    I don't have one, but, I did want to suggest looking at job postings for ideas of common tasks.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=BIM+Manager&l=
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

that's part of the problem I was having, mine started to sound like a resume.

Login to Give a bone

You might consider not including those time frames, I have less time in service than any of those, yet can fulfill that job description. Also, think ahead, focus more on the BIM knowledge, if someone knows BIM, they can learn CAD, the other way has proven to not be quite so easy! I highly suggest not ripping off someone else's job description, as most I've seen exclude the very market you are looking for. A lot of the younger generations who are computer savvy, and trying to find a way into various industries, are turning to learning BIM in order to make themselves marketable. These individuals don't have 5+ years in the industry, yet they know the software better than most of those who have been. In part due to not having the limitations or expectations of knowing CAD, they find BIM Applications make more sense, etc.

Also, are you willing to pay for what you are asking for? I'd expect from Duane's post to make at least 100k on a salary with that much knowledge and expertise, plus time in industry... Instead, make a broader less refined description of the position to get possible candidates, then supply them with a temporary laptop/desktop and ask them to show you what they know. This will eliminate all but the best frauds!

GL

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Software knowledge for a 3D/BIM Coordinator absolutely has to include NavisWorks Manage as well as other NavisWorks software. Unless you're using some other type of software for 3d Modeling and Clash Detection.

The time frames are actually pretty typical of what I've seen on job descriptions. Hopefully you're not running computer software that discards resume's that don't show that kind of experience though.

The best thing you can look for is someone with Autocad, Autocad MEP, Revit Arch, and Revit MEP knowledge and industry use. Hiring an Application Engineer that's only worked for a reseller might put you in a pinch when it comes to actual field experience. They'll do great for troubleshooting the software but, when it comes down to making it work in the real world, they're lacking a little there. That's one of the reasons I left the reseller side of things. I wanted more field experience and now that I AM a BIM Coordinator, I've never looked back. I get to do the same things here only on actual projects, not on the perfect projects that AE's get to test out the software on.

Anywho, that's my 1 cents... Yep, inflation and all that strikes again..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!