Thread: Attribute extraction routine

Login to Give a bone

Default Attribute extraction routine

Hi all...I'm going to explain what I currently do and then explain what I want to do. Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or if there is a better way to go about it.
    --(background) I have a drawing file with multiple layouts. There is a block named "piece mark" that is placed multiple times on each layout. This block has two tags "piece_mark" and "piece_page". The attribute value for "piece_mark" is entered manually each time the block is added to the drawing (this block attribute value can have an unlimited number of variations in a given job) "piece_page" is filled using a field.
    --(current process) Currently I use the data extraction (eattext) on each layout, following all of the dialog screens. I use the first extraction as a template for all of the others. I overwrite the .xls file that is written each time. Sounds weird, but it's the only way I can get "piece_page" to return the correct result. I use the Excel file as an aid for tracking the shop tickets I have to create. I then insert a table onto our cover sheet using the Draw > table, then selecting "from a data link"
    --(what I want to do)
    1. I want to automate the data extraction. I always use it for the same block name, with the same attributes.
    2. In the automation, I want to be able to select an extraction template that does not get overwritten. The new .dxe file(s) that are created need to be directed into a specific job folder.
    3. I need to be able to output the extraction to an Excel file that I can name on the fly. Again, saved into a specific job folder.
    4. I want to automate the Draw>table "from a data link" routine by automatically going to the point of the command where it asks for the "data link name" after selecting "create a new Excel data link"

Is this realistic or just a pipe dream?
    Am I looking at a couple of Lisps or scripts?
    If AutoLisp is the answer, can someone point me to a really good Lisp book? I've spent a lot of time reading the AutoLISP forum on here and searching the net, but I just wanted to make sure this is doable before I spend a lot of time on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Attribute extraction routine

I, too, have been looking for a solution to this problem - see my post here:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=96409

(Incidentally, adding the table to the .dwt file was inspired by my realization that I couldn't step through all of the screens in the data extraction wizard using LISP.)

I am now working on a LISP routine that pulls all of the attributes & dynamic block properties of a particular block and then exports them to an Excel file for further manipulation.

Basically, this will bypass the (very cool, but frustrating to program around) attribute extraction that is built in to CAD, and it does away with re-creating/re-linking the .dxe file.

Hope this helps - and if anyone else is making headway on this, I'd love to hear about it.