Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct transitions, how to do these?

Login to Give a bone

Default Duct transitions, how to do these?

Hey, im drawing up some ductwork, need to know how to draw a double radius bend. (see pic) also i want to have a transition piece, which is flat on the side and the top if possible (wedge shape in pic)

im sure these are probably simple but i cant seem to find it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duct transitions, how to do these?

You need to do some more digging inside your duct fittings folder

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by damgroovey100 View Post
    Hey, im drawing up some ductwork, need to know how to draw a double radius bend. (see pic) also i want to have a transition piece, which is flat on the side and the top if possible (wedge shape in pic)

im sure these are probably simple but i cant seem to find it.
    Very good question Mr. Groovey.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure that there's a very good answer to go with it.
    I believe that the answer is, that at this point along the evolution scale of Revit MEP, you will have to build a family, with duct connectors / duct insulation options and all the rest, because there is no 'out-of-the-box' piece like that available. I would love to be wrong about this but I don't believe I am.

I hope your project doesn't require the use of flat oval ductwork, because that is something Revit cannot handle aswell.

As your experience with Revit increases you will discover more and more inadequacies like this in the system, bur Revit MEP is constantly on the improve, so I'm sure it won't be too long before we start seeing some of these items emerging from Autodesk

Good luck
    Last edited by Michael.c; 2009-03-10 at 04:26 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Duct transitions, how to do these?

Most of the duct transitions you will need will generally tend to be available, provided you have all the content extensions and spend plenty of time digging around and playing with them trying to figure out what they all are. However, sometimes understanding how exactly to use them can be a different mattter entirely. For example - transitions that are flat on one side seem to be made from the standard rectangular transitions but with an "offset" parameter adjusted. To get a feel for them try playing with the justification settings when drawing ducts - set it to left or right horizontally justified and see how Revit puts in the transitions.

When you come to making your own duct fittings, remove any sharp objects in your vicinity before starting. For some reason, it can be very easy to get all the geometry working correct, but Revit is very sensitive to a number of unwritten rules when it comes to getting flow to propagate correctly through the fitting, especially if it has more than 2 connectors (i.e. tees and wyes etc). In some cases I have found it appears to be necessary to have certain parts of the fitting aligned to certain reference planes, though this is purely through trial and error and is not explained anywhere I can find.

All that being said, the majority of times you find Revit refusing to do something no matter how hard you try to make it, eventually you realise you are at fault and Revit has been right all along! Once you work out the quirks it's actually pretty good at doing some very complex duct layouts. As long as you don't use flat oval ductwork.... (but who uses that anyway?)

Login to Give a bone

Here's a couple of screenshots of what you are trying to achieve (I think)
    Use the M_Rectangular Duct Wye - Curved duct fitting for the wye, and just a normal rectangular duct transition with the offsets for the flat on top and side transition (or use justification settings on the ductwork)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.Bagnall View Post
    Most of the duct transitions you will need will generally tend to be available, provided you have all the content extensions
    Thanks Andrew (I'm assuming that your response was just as much aimed at me even though it wasn't my original question!).
    I've done a 'content extension' search, and came up with this:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...tent+extension

It relates to the lack of Australian, or METRIC content. Not sure if it's been addressed since Brendan's thread....maybe someone here knows?
    Last edited by Michael.c; 2009-03-10 at 10:15 PM.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst View Post
    Thanks Andrew (I'm assuming that your response was just as much aimed at me even though it wasn't my original question!).

It relates to the lack of Australian, or METRIC content. Not sure if it's been addressed since Brendan's thread....maybe someone here knows?
    Metric...BAH

Just kidding, I wish the US would commit to using Metric like the more advance parts of the world. I hate trying to do math on feet and inches.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlondenberg View Post
    Metric...BAH

Just kidding, I wish the US would commit to using Metric like the more advance parts of the world. I hate trying to do math on feet and inches.
    I also hate trying to figure out in my head how much 672mm is in real world dimensions. My head still thinks in feet unfortunately.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst View Post

Lack of australian content yes - but the UK content.... is Metric?

Granted though, there is a lack of autodesk content generally metric or otherwise, but frankly I think what is there is usually enough in most instances - whats missing is good information on how to drive it, and get the most out of what is there - the original question in this thread is a prime example of that - everything being asked for already exists, just you have to go through about 18months of trial and error before you figure it out.

Would love to see a decent help file / tutorial on advanced ductwork and how fittings work and how to make your own, It sounds a lot easier than it is in many cases - either that or the software is either very very sensitive in this area or bugged....

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlondenberg View Post
    Metric...BAH

"The Metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I like it!" - Grampa Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast