Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I wanted to start coding in .NET....

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default If I wanted to start coding in .NET....

What version of Visual Studio should I get? We're running Civil3D 2007 over here and I was wondering if the version of Visual Studio matters as far as compatability and moving forward (or even backwards) when it comes to developing programs for AutoCAD. My next question really makes me seem new to all of this but...

Is there a free Visual Studio editor like the VBA editor packaged with AutoCAD now? If not inside of AutoCAD how about a free one that obviously runs outside of AutoCAD? I'm use to writing VBA (DVB files) from AutoCAD with it's built-in editor and I'm trying to justify to myself if it's worth paying into an editor just to learn on. I downloaded and watched a 2.5 hour video last night, "DevTV - Introduction to AutoCAD. NET Programming" and it really got me hooked on what .NET API can do. Now I'm very anxious. Advice?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: If I wanted to start coding in .NET....

Heh, I just posted the info you need in the thread you asked this in the VBA group.....

http://www.microsoft.com/Express/

It's the free version of VS.

Login to Give a bone

If you develop for 2009 and prior, you need vs 2005. 2010 will require vs2008.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    If you develop for 2009 and prior, you need vs 2005. 2010 will require vs2008.
    That's only true if you are doing ObjectARX development with C++.

For DotNet that's not true at all. You can use the Visual Studio Express editions C# or VB.NET just fine

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=8007696
    Last edited by ethomson; 2009-03-12 at 01:36 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ethomson View Post
    That's only true if you are doing ObjectARX development with C++.

For DotNet that's not true at all. You can use the Visual Studio Express editions C# or VB.NET just fine

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=8007696
    Are you talking about VS full vs Express or 2005 vs 2008? The link you provided doesn't say anything about which version of vs is required.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Are you talking about VS full vs Express or 2005 vs 2008? The link you provided doesn't say anything about which version of vs is required.
    This is the applicable part of that link

"AutoCAD Civil 3D provides .NET Interop assemblies that expose the ActiveX interfaces so that they can be programmed using .NET technologies, such as VB.NET, managed C++, and C#. .NET assemblies are also available for creating custom subassemblies.

Although AutoCAD Civil 3D does not expose an ObjectARX API, applications built with the AutoCAD ObjectARX SDK or the AutoCAD Map ObjectARX SDK will run within AutoCAD Civil 3D."

also this

"Extensive application development documentation for the ActiveX (COM Automation) API is built into the AutoCAD Civil 3D Help system. The Help system also contains information on C++ and .NET application development."

Login to Give a bone

My statement which you challenged related to binary compatiblity. The "applicable part" you quoted does not mention binary compatiblilty.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

My statement which you challenged related to binary compatiblity. The "applicable part" you quoted does not mention binary compatiblilty.
    Like I said before that only applies to ObjectARX not .Net Assemblies
    http://through-the-interface.typepad...ocad-2010.html

That applies to vanilla Autocad

Civil3d doesn't have it's own ObjectARX or .net assemblies. It's only using the ActiveX interop assemblies. If that's changed with newer releases I don't know but for 2007 that's not the case. See an example here
    http://through-the-interface.typepad...face/civil_3d/

You can use whatever you want.

The only time that you are required to use a specific Visual Studio version is when you are developing C++ ObjectARX apps.

Login to Give a bone

I still think you are on a different page than me. My comment was about VS 2005 vs VS 2008. They are not binary compatible. Technically, Express is not a different "version", but a subset, a "flavor" if you will. For example, if you use VB.Net Express 2005 to compile a dll, it will be different from the same source code compiled with VB.Net Express 2008. Kean's column you cited, mentioned nothing of using 2005 or 2008. If you have a source that says other than my original statement, I'm all ears. The whole point of why I started this is that the source for acad 2010 is compiled with VS 2008. If you use VS 2005 to compile a dll intended for use with acad 2010, it will not be binary compatible with the host the dll is running in.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

I still think you are on a different page than me. My comment was about VS 2005 vs VS 2008. They are not binary compatible. Technically, Express is not a different "version", but a subset, a "flavor" if you will. For example, if you use VB.Net Express 2005 to compile a dll, it will be different from the same source code compiled with VB.Net Express 2008. Kean's column you cited, mentioned nothing of using 2005 or 2008. If you have a source that says other than my original statement, I'm all ears. The whole point of why I started this is that the source for acad 2010 is compiled with VS 2008. If you use VS 2005 to compile a dll intended for use with acad 2010, it will not be binary compatible with the host the dll is running in.
    No I understand that the express editions are not different versions altogether.

When you are compling .net applications you are compiling against the .net framework that you select 2,3,3.5 etc. Since you are referencing type libraries it's generating an interop assembly that is simply access the ActiveX interface exposed by Autocad so it doesn't matter at all what version of 2005 standard/express/professional vs 2008 standard/express/pro etc.

Try it before you say it can't be done. Because while I don't use Civil3d I've compiled plenty of both native .net assemblies (dlls that are netloaded) & standalone apps for Vanillia autocad accessing the com/activex interface and can tell you that it doesn't matter what version (release or edition) you use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast