Thread: Export to IFC

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Export to IFC

Hey guys, just wanted your view on a specific issue that might become very general in the near future.

We have research going on with suppliers of manufactured building components, such as precast walls and floor slabs. One of the ways is IFC, because that is the most generic standard with preservation of parameters. As opposed to 3D-dwg.

One of the issues is that VOID is not supported by IFC. The Opening element is. This is mostly a problem because, for the very purpose of providing our manufacturers with good information, we have components such as doors and windows that manipulate more elements at the same time. No matter how you cut it, a VOID should be exported in some or any way to the IFC file or they'll not make the right cut (if any). This is a very annoying issue if you design your windows so that it makes a different cut in each (separately drawn) wall layer.
    We also have components with several volumes, of which the right one is enabled/disabled with visibility checkboxes. This is mandatory if you want to preserve constraints, which doesn't work quite as well with a nested family parameter. IFC doesn't give a rat's arse about those checkboxes and show them all in concert. Ofcourse this is also very undesirable.

In my opinion, Revit needs to convert VOID to a standard supported by IFC, and purge inherently non-visible volumes. If IFC is going to be a practical file format for us, then Autodesk and/or IFC need to overcome these annoying and impractical issues. I'm posting this to see how many of you agree, and how all of you use IFC if at all.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Export to IFC

Hi,
    We're using IFC and have run up against a similar issue. I have a Revit model containing both the architectural model and the structural modell. I'm trying to find a way to export prefab walls to IFC with opening for the windows without the windows being exported.
    I've tried 2 methods:
    1. Hide the windows and export the wall using "Current view only"
    2. IFC export settings. Change window to "Not exported" but keep Window opening for export.

Neither of these methods worked. Any tips?

I agree regarding IFC. If Revit is going to able to deliver BIM models to prefab contractors it needs to be able to export complete elements without loads of manual work and detailing to fix the IFC model!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

When I was trying to export ducts to ifc file, I found the export setting says Duct is "not exported", how can I switch it to IfcDuct?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Anyone ever find a solution for this?

We are running into a similar issue with IFC exports from revit.

We are exporting our model in 'show parts' and it seems that the issue arises when cutting a void into a wall that has been split into parts. The host part (i.e. main wall) has the void cut when exporting but any other parts of the wall (i.e finishes) does not show the void when exported. It would appear that the void just doesn't get translated through to the other layers/parts of the wall when exporting to IFC.

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Hello,

Running in to the same problem. We are a manufacturer of aerated concrete and silicate blocks and make all our drawings custom to the demands of the client.
    Since a while now we are implementing bim and using ifc to import into our software for production.
    First I thought it was due to our software some openings were not imported. But when I started reviewing the ifc's (exported by our clients) in other programs such as Tekla and Solibri it quickly became clear something is going wrong with the export.
    The same errors occur when viewing the ifc's in different software packages.
    Sometimes the voids only appear in the insulation and finishing layers, sometimes in all layers and sometimes in none.

It seems the problem especially occurs when walls are split into parts. Does anyone have some advice I can share with our clients on how to export correctly, so the walls geometry gets exported correctly including the voids?